The Grande Dame of Coronado, this red-roofed hotel has overlooked the Pacific from its beachfront locale since 1888. Throughout its history, the storied Hotel del Coronado has been a favorite among traveling presidents, with former presidents Benjamin Harrison, William Taft, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Richard Nixon, Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford all passing through. Movie stars such as Charlie Chaplin also paid visits, and the Hotel del Coronado played the backdrop to the feature film "Some Like It Hot" in 1958. More recent guests say that the property's past adds an air of romance (though some feel that the high room rates are the result of reputation rather than experience). Accommodations have been upgraded to include modern amenities such as high-speed Internet and flat-screen TVs, and the property offers visitors access to the on-site spa, two pools and a wealth in-house eateries.
Resort hotel, 757 rooms
Business travelers, Families, Couples, Groups
How It Ranks
U.S. News analyzed more than 2,500 hotels to find the best in the USA, the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada, based on reputation among travel experts, guest reviews and hotel class ratings. Read more about how we rank hotels.
Rankings for Hotel del Coronado
AAA/CAA Four Diamond Awards 2016
Condé Nast Readers' Choice List 2015
Lonely Planet Top Pick
A hotel's guest rating is calculated using data provided under license by TripAdvisor. A total of 3828 guests have reviewed the Hotel del Coronado, giving it a rating of 4.0, on a scale of 1-5.
TripAdvisor Traveler Rating: | 4.0 (based on 3828 reviews)
Due to the age and size of the resort, the layout and decor of the rooms vary widely among the property's three sections, particularly in the original Victorian Building. All rooms are bright and airy and feature Keurig coffee makers with complimentary coffee and tea, as well as the hotel's signature line of bath amenities. Rooms in the Ocean Towers and California Cabanas all have patios or balconies.
- Daily resort charge of $28 includes Wi-Fi access
- Turndown service available upon request
- My Hotel Del app enables guests to request services and schedule activities
Standard room size: 300 square feet
Guest rooms with patios and balconies
Adjoining rooms available
The chart below shows prices for Hotel del Coronado:
- -1 Week
- Selected Date Range
- +1 Week
The following guest room information is provided by
Location & Parking
This iconic hotel, which occupies 28 acres along Coronado Beach, seems a world away, rather than just a bay away, from the bustle of downtown San Diego. Public bus route 901 and the Coronado Ferry connect the two, and there's a free shuttle around Coronado Island during the summer.
- About 8 miles south of San Diego International Airport
- Hertz rental car office on-site
Within walking distance of:
The crown jewel among the resort's 12 dining outlets is The Crown Room, where guests can treat themselves to Sunday brunch featuring a chilled seafood bar and carving stations under a soaring wood-paneled ceiling. For alfresco dining, enjoy seafood at Sheerwater, tacos and ceviche at the Sun Deck Bar & Grill or small plates and cocktails at the Sunset Bar.
- 24-hour room service available
- Ocean Ice and Moo Creamery serve handcrafted frozen treats with fixins
- Babcock & Story Bakery offers coffee, pastries and pizza 24 hours a day
Number of restaurants: 12
Cuisine types: Buffet, American
The oversized main pool is kept at a balmy 80 degrees year-round. Pool towels, chaise lounge chairs, kickboards and water toys are provided free of charge. The full-service Del Beach area includes day bed rentals, food and drink service and a designated kids play area.
- Pool cabanas are available for full-day rentals for parties of up to eight people
- Pool open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily
- Hotel is right on the beach, so guests can also choose to swim in the ocean
Number of pools: 3
The spa's expansive treatment menu draws inspiration from the ocean and includes a dozen massage options alone. Guests can relax afterward at the spa's own infinity pool that overlooks the ocean. Teens ages 13 and older can book a specially designed teen facial, massage and sugar scrub.
- 21 treatment rooms
- Couples packages include one with massages followed by a private beach bonfire with s’mores and Champagne
The DelVenture Kids Program for children ages 4 to 12 offers many different activities and excursions including hula lessons and campfires on the beach. Every week from Memorial Day through Labor Day, families can enjoy free s'mores nights on the beach and kid-friendly movies on the pool deck.
- Licensed, bonded and CPR-certified babysitters can be scheduled through the concierge
- Crib, pack 'n' play, toddler bed and child-proofing kit available upon request
- Pool toys, sunscreen and kids goggles available for purchase at the main pool
The 24-hour fitness center has cardio equipment, weight machines and a yoga room. The gym offers complimentary classes including Pilates and zumba for guests ages 18 and older. In addition, the hotel offers surfing and paddleboarding lessons.
- Personal trainers can be scheduled for private workouts
- Bicycle rentals available
The resort's 47 indoor event venues range in size from 300 to 12,500 square feet. Event planners can schedule such team-building exercises as boat building and beach Olympics. The full-service FedEx Center provides computer workstations with Internet access, fax and copy service, shipping and postal services and more.
- Meeting planners can partner with vendors to arrange golf, sailing, photography, A/V equipment and transportation needs
- Business center open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday
Number of meeting rooms: 47
Hotel del Coronado welcomes up to two pets (dogs or cats) per room, each weighing a maximum of 40 pounds. There's a nonrefundable $125 pet fee and owners must sign a waiver upon arrival. Pet amenities include a pet room service menu, water and food bowls, cat scratch pads and a litter box, bedding, crates and leashes.
- Pet walking and sitting, dog grooming and veterinary services available
- “Yappy Hour” every Sunday from 4 to 5 p.m. serves complimentary Evian water and gourmet dog treats
The hotel partners with National Golf Event Management to arrange golf tournaments and golf outings for guests. The concierge can schedule tee times at one of the 80 golf courses in San Diego.
The hotel has 10 wedding venues, including the Windsor lawn, which is steps from Coronado Beach. Hotel del Coronado requires a professional wedding planner be used for the rehearsal, ceremony and reception. The hotel can offer referrals to more than 50 local vendors, including planners, florists and photographers.
- Curfews for wedding venues range from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m., depending on the site
- The hotel partners with a local Indian caterer for Indian weddings
Maximum wedding guest capacity: 700
Editor’s note: Hotel information is updated periodically. If this is your property and you notice any inaccuracies, please let us know. If you are interested in obtaining a badge to display on your website or in other media, please contact us.