Crystal Cruises Review
- Overall Rating: 4.7 4.7
- Expert Rating: 5.0
- Traveler Rating: 4.6
- Couples: 4.6
- Families w/ young children: 3.3
- Families w/ older children: 5.0
- Singles/Friends: 5.0
- Groups: 5.0
Crystal Cruises Overview
How it Ranks: Crystal has been ranked based on an expert evaluation of the line's level of luxury, as well as an assessment of user reviews and health ratings. Crystal Cruises appears on the following ranking lists:
- #1 in Best Cruise Lines for Romance
- #1 in Best Luxury Cruise Lines
- #6 in Best Cruise Lines in the Caribbean
Crystal Cruises' two ships — Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony — are lauded by critics and previous cruisers for their elegant design and sparse crowds. Crystal also separates itself from other luxury liners with its high crew-to-passenger ratio, which allows for more personalized service. Crystal's ships sail across the globe, with popular 2014 itineraries covering the Mediterranean, Western Europe, Southeast Asia, Australia, the Baltic Sea and Russia, among other destinations. Journey lengths are different as well — voyages offered by the cruise line can last anywhere from five to 108 days. Shore excursions vary by itinerary and cover everything from wine-tasting in Cinque Terre, Italy, to rainforest rafting in Cairns, Australia. On board both ships you'll find a casino and a state-of-the-art spa, salon and fitness center along with plenty of engaging activities and enrichment programs like cooking demonstrations, art classes and Broadway-style performances. As far as dining goes, Crystal features globally inspired fare, as well as specialty restaurants with dishes crafted by celebrated chefs Nobu Matsuhisa and Piero Selvago.
Pros & Cons
- Meals, drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and many onboard activities included in cruise fare
- You can become part of the Crystal Society loyalty program, which offers fare discounts and benefits
- Children ages 11 and younger may sail for free or at a discounted rate
- Not all onboard amenities are covered by the cruise fare
- Crystal Adventures Shore Excursions must be reserved in advance and are not included in cruise rate
- Cruise port, security and handling fees not included in fare
Crystal caters to a 55-plus clientele. But with that said, don't be surprised if you encounter multigenerational groups (particularly during select times of year, when Crystal offers steeply discounted rates for kids).More about the onboard experience»
During your stay in each port, you'll have the option of exploring on your own or booking one of the cruise line's specialized Crystal Adventures. Crystal Adventures tours vary by itinerary and port of call; they also incur additional fees and must be booked far in advance to ...More about the on shore experience»
Before You Book
- You are required to provide a 20 percent deposit upon booking and all fares must be paid in full 90 days prior to departure.
- If you cancel your reservation 46 to 90 days before departure, you'll receive an 80 percent refund on your cruise payment; if you cancel your reservation 31 to 45 days prior to departure, you'll only receive a 50 percent refund on the price of the cruise; if you cancel your reservation 30 or fewer days prior to departure, you will receive no refund.
- Longer world cruises are subject to different cancellation rules and restrictions.
- You can book shoreside excursions online starting six months prior to your embarkation date.
- Children 6 months old or younger are not permitted on Crystal cruises.
- Crystal offers both one-way and round-trip voyages; popular ports of call include major cities across the United States, Canada, Asia and Europe, and vary according to itinerary.
Before You Board
- You may receive priority check-in if you submit all required travel documents on the Crystal Cruises website up to seven days before you depart.
- You must board 90 minutes before the vessel is scheduled to depart each destination to secure your place on the ship.
- Crystal requires passengers to present a passport that is valid for a minimum of six months after the cruise ends.
- A certified nurse and physician are available on board 24 hours every day. However, if you have an existing medical condition or a disability that requires additional assistance or calls for particular dietary needs, you must file a report to the Onboard Guest Services Department 30 days prior to departure. You are also encouraged to bring an extra supply of supplements and medication with you.
- Additionally, Crystal requires that you have all vaccinations as well as a signed International Certificate of Vaccination.
You might also like:
Cunard's three ships — Queen Mary 2, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria — receive well-rounded praise from travel experts and cruisers alike for their stylish accommodations and elegant facilities, like upscale dining rooms and opulent ballrooms. Keeping with its legacy as a traditional, Old World ocean liner, Cunard is one of ... Read More»
Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Regent Seven Seas Cruises receives high marks from experts and travelers alike for its all-inclusive approach and commitment to quality service. All three of Regent's ships — Seven Seas Navigator, Seven Seas Mariner and Seven Seas Voyager — offer all-suite accommodations. And with a one crew member for every one to ... Read More»
Azamara Club Cruises
Azamara Club Cruises garners high praise from cruisers and critics for its upscale cabins and trips to far-flung destinations. Azamara's two ships — the Azamara Journey and the Azamara Quest — sail to 66 countries with popular stops in the U.S., Caribbean, Central America, South America, Northern and Western Europe ... Read More»
Disclaimers about ship ratings: A ship's Health Rating is based on vessel inspection scores published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). If a ship did not receive a CDC score within 24 months prior to the calculation of its Overall Rating, its Health Rating appears as N/A; in such a case, the ship's Overall Rating is calculated using the average Health Rating of all CDC-rated ships within the cruise line. All ship Traveler Ratings are based on ratings provided under license by Cruiseline.com.