Crystal Cruises Review
- Overall Rating: 4.5 4.5
- Expert Rating: 5.0
- Traveler Rating: 4.4
- Couples: 4.3
- Families w/ young children: 3.3
- Families w/ older children: 4.6
- Singles/Friends: 4.4
- Groups: 4.4
Crystal Cruises Overview
How it Ranks: Crystal has been ranked based on an expert evaluation of the line's level of luxury, as well as an assessment of user reviews and health ratings. Crystal Cruises appears on the following ranking lists:
Crystal Cruises' two ships — Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony — are lauded by critics and reviewers for their elegant design and sparse crowds. Crystal also separates itself from other luxury liners with its low passenger-to-crew ratio, which allows for more personalized service. Crystal's ships sail across the globe, with popular 2016 itineraries covering Southeast Asia, the Baltic Sea, the Panama Canal, New England, Canada, Europe, the Mediterranean, the Caribbean and South America. Journey lengths are different as well — voyages can last anywhere from six to 102 days. Shore excursions vary by itinerary and cover everything from a vineyard wine tasting in Barcelona, Spain, to a triathlon in Dubrovnik, Croatia. On board both ships you'll find a casino and an award-winning spa, salon and fitness center along with plenty of engaging activities and enrichment programs like cooking demonstrations, art classes and Broadway-style performances. As for dining, Crystal features globally inspired fare, as well as specialty restaurants with dishes crafted by celebrated chefs Nobu Matsuhisa and Piero Selvaggio.
Pros & Cons
- Meals, drinks (nonalcoholic and select wines and liquors) and many onboard activities included in cruise fare
- You can become part of the Crystal Society loyalty program, which offers fare discounts, after completing a cruise that is five days or longer
- Children ages 17 and younger may sail for free or at a discounted rate on select sailings
- Not all onboard amenities, including spa and laundry services, are covered by the cruise fare
- Crystal Adventures Shore Excursions are not included in cruise rate
- Cruise port, security and handling fees not included in fare
Crystal caters to a 55-plus clientele. But with that said, don't be surprised if you encounter multigenerational groups (particularly during select times of year, when Crystal offers steeply discounted rates for kids).More about the onboard experience»
During your stay in each port, you'll have the option of exploring on your own or booking one of the cruise line's specialized Crystal Adventures. Crystal Adventures tours vary by itinerary and port of call; they also incur additional fees and should be booked in advance. Available shore ...More about the on shore experience»
Before You Book
- A 20 percent deposit is required upon booking and all fares must be paid in full 90 days prior to departure.
- If you cancel your reservation 46 to 90 days before departure, you'll receive an 80 percent refund; if you cancel 31 to 45 days prior to departure, you'll only receive a 50 percent refund, and if you cancel your reservation 30 or fewer days prior to departure, you will receive no refund.
- Longer world cruises are subject to different cancellation rules and restrictions.
- You can book shoreside excursions online up to six months prior to your embarkation date.
- Children 6 months or younger are not permitted on Crystal cruises.
Before You Board
- You may receive priority check-in if you submit all required travel documents on the Crystal Cruises website up to seven days before you depart.
- You must board two hours before the boat is scheduled to depart each destination to secure your place on the ship.
- Crystal requires passengers to present a passport that is valid for at least six months after the cruise ends. Crystal also advises containing at least four blank passport pages for international sailings.
- A certified nurse and physician are available on board 24 hours every day. However, if you have an existing medical condition or disability that requires additional assistance, you must file a report with the Onboard Guest Services Department prior to departure. You are also encouraged to bring an extra supply of supplements and medication with you.
- If you have a medical condition that calls for particular dietary needs, you must submit your request with the Onboard Guest Services Department three months prior to your departure date.
- Additionally, Crystal requires that you have all required vaccinations as well as a signed International Certificate of Vaccination.
You might also like:
Cunard's three ships — Queen Mary 2, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria — receive well-rounded praise from travel experts and cruisers alike for their stylish accommodations and elegant facilities like upscale dining rooms and opulent ballrooms ... Read More»
Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Regent Seven Seas Cruises receives high marks from experts and travelers alike for its all-inclusive approach and commitment to quality service. All three of Regent's ships — Seven Seas Navigator, Seven Seas Mariner and Seven ... Read More»
Azamara Club Cruises
Azamara Club Cruises garners high praise from cruisers and critics for its upscale cabins and trips to far-flung destinations. Azamara's two ships — Azamara Journey and Azamara Quest — sail to 204 ports across 70 countries ... Read More»
Disclaimers about ship ratings: A ship's Health Rating is based on vessel inspection scores published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). If a ship did not receive a CDC score within 22 months prior to the calculation of its Overall Rating, its Health Rating appears as N/A; in such a case, the ship's Overall Rating is calculated using the average Health Rating of all CDC-rated ships within the cruise line. All ship Traveler Ratings are based on ratings provided under license by Cruiseline.com.