|No. of Daily Flights||More than 2,000|
|Ease of Earning Free Flight|
|Free Flight Options|
|About these ratings|
The Delta SkyMiles program is convenient for frequent fliers based in central and southern U.S. cities like Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Memphis, Minneapolis and Salt Lake City, as well as passengers who often travel to and from New York City. Delta Air Lines operates more than 5,400 flights each day to 333 destinations across 64 countries. By becoming a SkyMiles member, you'll earn one reward mile for every mile you fly with Delta, Delta Connection or Delta Shuttle; you can also earn miles for flying with any of Delta's 25 partner airlines, including KLM, Air France and Virgin Atlantic. Those miles can be redeemed for free air travel on any participating airline, or you can cash in rewards for cabin upgrades or items for sale at the SkyMiles Marketplace. When you fly with Delta, you will also earn Medallion Qualifying Miles (MQMs), which will help you gain access to a variety of perks through the Delta SkyMiles Medallion elite membership program. (Medallion-level members can rack up miles at participating Starwood hotels through the Crossover Rewards program.) You can also earn miles on everyday purchases if you've signed up for a Delta SkyMiles credit card by American Express.
Note: Delta announced major changes to the SkyMiles program effective as of Jan. 1, 2015. The most notable difference is the way SkyMiles program members earn points: Points are awarded per dollar spent rather than per distance flown. For more information, see How to Earn and Use Points.
Pros & Cons
- Miles can be used with 25 participating airlines
- Miles do not expire
- Elite members receive unlimited complimentary upgrades
- Limited seating available for award travel
- Rewards flights are only redeemable through Delta.com or a Delta ticket agent
- You must fly and spend a lot to reach elite status
By becoming a SkyMiles member, you'll earn a base rate of one frequent flier mile for every mile you travel with Delta, Delta Connection or Delta Shuttle; you will also earn miles for travel on Delta's 25 partner airlines, though the amount you'll earn varies by carrier. These miles can be used to cover the cost of future air travel on Delta or any affiliated carriers.
Can Points Expire? NO
Can Earn Points On...
- Credit Card
- Air Travel
- Hotel Stays
Can Use Points On...
- Booking Flights
- Cabin Upgrades
The Delta SkyMiles program is divided into two categories: basic SkyMiles membership and Medallion elite membership. The Medallion program is then split into four classes: Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond.How Membership Works»
The Fine Print
- The Delta SkyMiles program is open to any traveler in any country (barring that country does not ban participation in frequent flier programs).
- Earning rates vary depending on which airline you fly. Delta SkyMiles partners do not necessarily offer the same number of miles as Delta.
- Travel using SkyMiles may be subject to blackout dates.
- Changes to the departure airport, arrival airport, route, date and time of an awards flight are permitted as long as the mileage remains the same. Changes must be made at least 72 hours prior to departure.
- Expedited passage through airport security checkpoints is dependent on individual qualification.
- There's no additional fee for redeeming miles and no cap on how many miles you can use at a time or how often you can pay with miles.
- In order to use miles, you must book your flight through Delta.com or with a Delta ticket agent.
- You must have a minimum balance of 10,000 miles in order to use miles to cover flight costs.
- You cannot use miles to cover any additional taxes or fees for award travel tickets.
- Delta reserves the right to change program rules, regulations and benefits at any time without notice.
You might also like:
Starwood Preferred Guest Program
Ranked #5 in Best Hotel Rewards Programs
The Starwood Preferred Guest (or SPG) program caters primarily to businesspeople who ... Read More»
United MileagePlus Program
Ranked #4 in Best Airline Rewards Programs
The United MileagePlus program is best for travelers based in major American ... Read More»
American Airlines AAdvantage Program
Ranked #5 in Best Airline Rewards Programs
The American Airlines AAdvantage program benefits travelers based in eastern, central and ... Read More»