What to Eat in Bali
Bali's cuisine scene is heavily Indonesian, with Chinese and Indian influences. Most dishes include rice, vegetables, meat and fish – and plenty of spice. Many meals feature base gede – a spice paste that usually consists of garlic, red chili peppers, shallots, nutmeg, turmeric, coriander, ginger, shrimp paste, coconut oil and bay leaves. With that many ingredients, you can be sure that dishes featuring this spice blend are flavorful. Fish, chicken and pork are often rubbed or stuffed with the spice paste, cooked with coconut milk and served with rice and veggies.
There are several standout dishes that travelers should sample. Order babi guling (turning pig) and you'll get a plate of tender roasted meat that's also crispy and caramelized. Bebek betutu is a spice-rubbed, slow-roasted duck often cooked in banana leaves. The satay (or sate) in Bali includes strips of chicken, pork, fish or tofu placed on skewers and grilled over a hot flame; accompanying sauces vary, but peanut and shrimp paste-based sauces are common. When it comes to restaurants, experts and travelers recommend trying a variety. Many of the resorts feature upscale dining, the markets throughout Bali offer up fresh, local fare and the eateries along the coast dish out casual meals (with beautiful beach views).
There are hundreds of thousands of dining establishments spread across the island, in which travelers can sample the local cuisine, along with other cuisines from around the world. In Ubud, Abe Do earns high marks from travelers for its fresh juices and raw, organic plates. For a fine dining experience, consider Lamak Restaurant & Bar, a hit with past visitors for its steak dinners and inventive martinis. Another splurge-worthy restaurant in Ubud, Mozaic is an award-winning Asian restaurant with tasting menus that highlight the region's best ingredients, such as Indian Ocean octopus and Javanese pigeon, along with a bevy of local fruits, vegetables and herbs. Outside of Ubud, Warung Padang Kecag in Candidasa is popular for its seafood dishes while the trendy Mamasan in Kerobokan is a hit for its blend of Asian cuisines and stunning decor.
Find the Best Restaurants in Bali
- #1The Puhu Restaurant & Lounge by Padma Resort Ubud#1 of 11 Places to Eat in PayanganTripAdvisor (243)$$ | European, Asian, IndonesianPadma Resort Ubud Banjar Carik Desa, Puhu, Payangan, Payangan IndonesiaRead More »
- #2The Kelusa#2 of 11 Places to Eat in PayanganTripAdvisor (67)$ - $$ | International, Asian, Indonesian, Contemporary, FusionBanjar Ayah, Desa Kelusa, Payangan 80572 IndonesiaRead More »
- #3The Wijaya Kusuma Fine Dining Restaurant#3 of 11 Places to Eat in PayanganTripAdvisor (69)$ - $$ | Indonesian, AsianDesa Melinggih Kelod, Banjar Begawan, Payangan Desa Melinggih Kelod, Banjar Begawan, Payangan 80572 IndonesiaRead More »
- #4Warung Umah Bali#4 of 11 Places to Eat in PayanganTripAdvisor (18)Indonesian, AsianJl. Keliki Kawan Kelusa, Payangan 80561 IndonesiaRead More »
- #5Warung Bu Nani#5 of 11 Places to Eat in PayanganTripAdvisor (14)$ | American, Asian, IndonesianJl. Raya Semaon, Puhu, Payangan 80572 IndonesiaRead More »
- #6The Wilis Restaurant by Senetan#6 of 11 Places to Eat in PayanganTripAdvisor (12)$ - $$ | International, Asian, IndonesianDs. Payangan Br. Penginyahan, Ds. Puhu Senetan Villa, Payangan 80572 IndonesiaRead More »
- #7Glow Restaurant#7 of 11 Places to Eat in PayanganTripAdvisor (15)$$ | International, Asian, HealthyBanjar Begawan, Desa Melinggih Kelod COMO Shambhala Estate, Payangan 80571 IndonesiaRead More »
- #8Babi Guling Mertha Jati#8 of 11 Places to Eat in PayanganTripAdvisor (4)$ | Fast FoodJl. Raya Payangan Pasar Senggol Payangan, Payangan 80572 IndonesiaRead More »
- #1The Amateras#1 of 1 Places to Eat in KelusaTripAdvisor (1)Jl. Rsi Markandya, Br. Bangkiang Sidem Desa Keliki, Kelusa, Payangan 80561 IndonesiaRead More »
- Teras Restaurant$ | Italian, Asian, IndonesianJl. Raya Buahan 88 Adiwana Dara Ayu Villas, Payangan 80572 IndonesiaRead More »
- Sanggraloka Restaurant$ | Chinese, American, Asian, IndonesianJl. Raya Bresela Sanggraloka Suite, Down Stair Near the Pool, Bresela, Payangan 80361 IndonesiaRead More »
Explore More of Bali
If you make a purchase from our site, we may earn a commission. This does not affect the quality or independence of our editorial content.
Holly JohnsonJanuary 16, 2020
Kyle McCarthyJanuary 8, 2020
Lyn MettlerDecember 23, 2019
Gwen PratesiDecember 9, 2019
Lyn MettlerNovember 25, 2019
Kyle McCarthyNovember 21, 2019
Holly JohnsonNovember 14, 2019
Gwen PratesiNovember 12, 2019
Christine SmithNovember 12, 2019