- Read MoreIf you like hiking, golfing, swimming or sunning, you might be interested in booking a stay at The Lodge at Torrey Pines. You can explore state park to the north and the La Jolla beaches to the south, or you can enjoy the woodsy, rustic ambiance of coastal California from the comfort of the hotel. The guest rooms feature hardwood furnishings, and some overlook the beautiful Torrey Pines Golf Course. Cozy fireplaces are sprinkled around some guest rooms and hotel common areas. The Lodge features an outdoor pool and hot tub, as well as a fitness center. Visitors loved the unique touches here, including the kilt-wearing doormen and the delicious California cuisine at A.R. Valentien restaurant. Guests will also have access to the spa and the adjacent Torrey Pines Golf Course. The hotel does charge a $35 daily fee plus tax, which covers an array of amenities like property-wide Wi-Fi access, dry sauna and steam room use, weekend yoga classes, morning coffee and balls for use on putting greens.5.0-star Hotel ClassFree WiFi
- Read MoreThe Montage Laguna Beach epitomizes the relaxed class and beauty for which Southern California is known. The property's location (right along the shore just south of downtown Laguna Beach) is a particularly popular perk among guests. Accommodations at the hotel also include feather-top beds and marble bathrooms, not to mention beautiful turn-of-the-century decor and private terraces or balconies that overlook the ocean. But don't plan on spending too much time in your room. In addition to enjoying the large beach area, you can lounge poolside, shop at the in-house boutiques, receive spa treatments and eat gourmet meals at one of three on-site restaurants. If you happen to be here for date night, recent guests say that the intimate atmosphere and the locally sourced California cuisine at Studio will set the tone for a romantic evening. There are also family programs for children, though previous visitors say that the upscale environment at Montage Laguna Beach is better suited for couples.
- View all PhotosSanta Barbara, CA3.6 miles to city centerTripAdvisor (2320)Free WiFiRead MoreWith stunning views of the Pacific Ocean from its shorefront perch east of downtown Santa Barbara, the Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara is consistently lauded by guests for its friendly staff and stunning decor. The Spanish Colonial Revival structure houses 207 spacious guest rooms and suites that feel bright and airy and feature large windows and views of the 22-acre property, and visitors say that the down bedding adds an extra dose of luxury. Recent guests also praised the in-house spa for its extensive list of treatments, but should you desire some rest and relaxation without the additional cost, a day spent by the outdoor pool should do just fine. If you're traveling with kids, let the resort's certified staff provide them with a host of supervised activities while you enjoy a romantic meal at Tydes (if you like seafood) or Bella Vista (if you prefer your Californian cuisine infused with some Italian flair).
- Read MoreWhen booking a room at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, guests expect to receive superb service. And that's what they get. On top of that, they get a breathtaking ocean view and gorgeous grounds just northwest of Dana Point Marina. If you need any help reaching inner peace, the well-reviewed spa is happy to accommodate you. And this is no ordinary Ritz: In addition to the standard pool-tennis-fitness center combination, this property has access to several area golf courses and some excellent surfing waves. Plus, guests can explore the local environment with expert naturalists on eco-adventures organized by the hotel. As for dining, you can satiate your appetite at one of several on-site eateries. And when it comes time to call it a day, you won't be disappointed with the accommodations. Previous visitors love the serene pastel blue and cream decor in the guest rooms, as well as the private balconies and technology such as flat-screen TVs and internet access (included in the $50 daily resort fee). Plus, this hotel particpates in the Marriott Bonvoy program, so members can earn and use points by staying here.
- View all PhotosRancho Palos Verdes, CA23.1 miles to city centerTripAdvisor (4395)Free WiFiRead MoreAbout 32 miles south of downtown Los Angeles, Terranea Resort is a palatial resort in the city's backyard. Many rooms look out onto the Pacific Ocean from balconies and come equipped with a long list of luxury amenities, including flat-screen TVs, four-fixture stone bathrooms and Wi-Fi access. (Covered by the $40 daily resort fee.) But most guests appreciate what's outside their quarters, particularly the fitness center and multiple pools. The hotel also houses a noteworthy spa, and visitors are in awe of the expansive, manicured grounds – all 102 acres. This family- and pet-friendly resort has eight delectable eateries and watering holes. Of those, Catalina Kitchen is the true standout with its breakfast and patio setting.5.0-star Hotel ClassFree WiFi
- Read MoreThe smallest and most intimate of the Pebble Beach Resorts, Casa Palmero is an exquisite, 24-room property along the fairways of Pebble Beach Golf Links. The attention to detail is evident throughout this Italian villa-inspired property: Guests claim that staff members bend over backward to make guests comfortable, including delivering breakfast baskets to your room each morning and replenishing flowers in your room daily. Not to mention, there are complimentary cocktails served at the hotel every evening. Should you want to explore beyond the premises, guests are allowed access to the Pebble Beach resort's Beach & Tennis Club, as well as the spa. Keep in mind that you need to stay at least two nights here, at The Inn at Spanish Bay or at The Lodge at Pebble Beach to get a reserved tee time on the course. And be sure to book the tee time when you reserve your room to ensure your spot. As a member of the Preferred portfolio, iPrefer members can earn and use points here.Free BreakfastFree ParkingFree WiFi
- Read MoreThe palatial Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay's jaw-dropping setting atop sea cliffs along the Pacific Coast is hard to beat. As its name suggests, this Ritz-Carlton property is in Half Moon Bay, California, located between San Francisco and San Jose. But the exceptional service is what has most travelers talking: From the congenial front desk staff, to the spa therapists to the restaurant servers, travelers praise the entire staff for its friendliness and efficiency. But that's not all guests have to say. The Ritz's guest rooms earn a thumbs-up for their goose-down bedding, marble bathrooms and spacious floor plans, and those traveling with pets will be pleased to know that accommodations here are animal-friendly. But don't plan on spending too much time in your room. Through the concierge, you can book surf lessons, bird watching excursions, bike rides, Segway tours, horseback rides and even whale watching tours. Back at the resort, you'll find two golf courses, a spa and four eateries. Families like to take advantage of the Ritz Kids Day Program, which includes trips to the beach, as well as movies and s'mores at the fire pit. Keep in mind that Marriott Bonvoy members can earn and use points by staying here.
- Read MoreFormerly a St. Regis property, guests can't stop raving about how beautiful the Monarch Beach Resort is. Overlooking the Pacific Ocean in Monarch Beach – about 60 miles southeast of Los Angeles – this resort caters to perfectionists. The grounds are well-manicured, the decor is both lavish, comfortable and up-to-date (accommodations were renovated in summer 2015), and the resort has a private beach. What more could you ask for? Well, you can also indulge at the handful of on-site eateries, swing a golf club in view of the Pacific Ocean or treat yourself to a decadent massage or sugar scrub at the Miraval Spa. Families love the wide range of activities for children, ranging from treasure hunts to the kids club to babysitting services. And previous visitors say the steep price is worthwhile and that the resort's staff deserves the highest praise.
- Read MoreFor golf fans, a stay at The Lodge at Pebble Beach – which sits on the 18th hole of the historic Pebble Beach Golf Links – is a dream come true. You won't regret requesting a room that overlooks the fairway and the Pacific Ocean. Aside from the outstanding views, recent visitors rave about the staff, calling them professional and attentive. There are five exceptional bars and restaurants on-site, as well as multiple shops. Access to the Beach & Tennis Club is also free for guests. Just keep in mind that you must stay at least two nights at the Lodge (or The Inn at Spanish Bay or Casa Palmero) to get a reserved tee time on the course, and you'll have better luck securing a spot if you book your tee time when you reserve your hotel room.Free ParkingFree WiFi
- Read MoreAccording to recent guests, Casa del Mar meshes a little art deco flair with Mediterranean styling – a mélange that has a beautiful effect. And compared to its sister property, the Cape Cod-esque Shutters on the Beach, this hotel affords a more upscale aesthetic. Count the Italian marble featured in the lobby and guest room bathrooms as proof. And the cool blue decor, intricately carved furniture, in-suite iPads and complimentary in-room movies only add to the experience. One of the southernmost hotels along Santa Monica's pricey beachfront strip, the Casa del Mar has 129 rooms and suites to choose from, as well as the tasty restaurant, Catch, and the gorgeous Sea Wellness Spa.
- Read MoreLocated along the South Shore in Lake Tahoe, about 60 miles south of Reno, Nevada, the Landing Resort & Spa is a 77-room lakefront hotel. Guest rooms here boast heated bathroom floors, flat-screen TVs and fireplaces. The resort's location makes for a good spot for travelers craving outdoor pursuits, including skiing, snowmobiling, swimming at the nearby beach, fishing and golfing. Plus, the hotel puts guests within easy reach of Edgewood Tahoe Golf Course, South Tahoe's casinos and Heavenly Mountain Resort, a popular ski resort. Recent visitors praise the hotel's lakeside location and the California cuisine served on-site at Jimmy's Restaurant. Other on-site features include a spa, an outdoor pool and hot tub, a 2,000 wine vault. Overall, the Landing Resort & Spa makes for an upscale home base for those looking to enjoy the many outdoor activities in Lake Tahoe, though some guests lamented the $25 daily resort fee tacked onto their final bill.4.5-star Hotel ClassFree ParkingFree WiFi
- Read MoreIn Santa Monica, proximity to the beach and pier translates to more expensive lodging. So know that you'll pay a pretty penny to enjoy a stay at Shutters on the Beach. But you'll be rewarded with a shabby-chic, oh-so-irresistible hotel that travel experts fawn over and guests can't stop gushing about. Guest rooms here are reminiscent of those found in a beachside bed-and-breakfast, though they come stocked with flat-screen TVs, marble bathrooms and balconies overlooking Santa Monica. The lovely views are the big plus, but people also like this hotel's friendly staff and the fare served at the property's three restaurants. When you're not relaxing on the sand, indulge in a treatment at ONE the spa or borrow one of the hotel's bikes to ride the nearby bike paths. You can find this sprawling, Cape Cod-style hotel just west of the pier and directly on the Santa Monica waterfront.
- Read MorePerfectly situated in the heart of Carmel, California, and just a 15-minute walk to Carmel Beach, L'Auberge Carmel, charms guests with its intimate luxury. With only 20 rooms, this Relais & Châteaux property appeals to travelers looking for an experience more akin to that provided by a bed-and-breakfast without sacrificing the amenities – like in-room spa services and the gourmet California cuisine served at Aubergine – found at a deluxe hotel. Guest rooms here all feature unique decor, but no matter which accommodation you occupy, you'll be treated to down bedding, soaking tubs and iPod docking stations. Previous visitors raved about the hotel's European influence, though some wished the small property had more on-site amenities.4.5-star Hotel ClassFree BreakfastFree ParkingFree WiFi
- View all PhotosMarina Del Rey, CA11.2 miles to city centerTripAdvisor (809)Read MoreRight on the marina and about 5 miles from Los Angeles International Airport, The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey attracts visitors with its picturesque location. Guests describe the rooms here as comfortable, with warm blue and gold tones reflecting the hotel's harbor vistas (not to mention balconies and feather beds). Visitors also appreciate this Ritz's convenient and luxurious amenities, such as the bicycle rentals – perfect for riding along the boardwalk – and the waterfront pool and whirlpool. Make the most of the hotel's harborfront location with some California cuisine at Wave Poolside Bar + Grill, or sample the locally sourced small plates at Cast & Plow. For even more pampering, indulge in a treatment at Sisley Spa. Though a stay here can cost a pretty penny, you can offset the cost (or earn points) with Marriott Bonvoy points.
- Read MoreLike its sister properties, The Lodge at Pebble Beach and Casa Palmero, the Inn at Spanish Bay caters mostly to avid golfers and luxury travelers. Guests praise the staff for their exceptional service and friendly dispositions. The rooms, many of which face the ocean, are spacious, with flat-screen TVs, complimentary internet access and minibars – some accommodations even come with fireplaces and balconies. There are many restaurants and bars that reside in the Pebble Beach complex, but Pèppoli and Roy's are the true culinary standouts. Just keep in mind that you must stay at least two nights at the Inn at Spanish Bay, Casa Palmero or The Lodge at Pebble Beach to reserve a tee time on the Pebble Beach Golf Links. Located along 17-Mile Drive, closer to Monterey than Pebble Beach, the hotel allows guests to enjoy easy access to all the shops and eateries near Cannery Row.Free ParkingFree WiFi
- Read MoreLittle touches such as soy milk for your morning coffee or steel cut oats for your breakfast oatmeal go a long way with recent guests of the Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows. Those travelers also praise the invested and attentive staff and the fresh produce served in the hotel's FIG restaurant. This hotel earns praise for its proximity to the Third Street Promenade of Santa Monica, not to mention its deluxe on-site amenities, which include the exhale Spa, a fitness center (which hosts Mind Body classes) and an outdoor pool. Visitors find that the guest rooms meet their needs, housing flat-screen TVs, internet access (for an additional fee) and Keurig coffee makers. However, previous guests recommend requesting a room facing the pool rather than the ocean, as late-night noise from the nearby Santa Monica Pier can make for a restless night. Members of the Le Club AccorHotels can earn points for choosing to stay here.
- Read MoreTowering atop La Jolla Cove and staring down at the bright blue of the Pacific Ocean, La Valencia Hotel and Spa is all about location. And yet, guests also praise the Mediterranean-style hotel for the cuisine served in its two main restaurants – Café La Rue and THE MED – and the friendly hotel staff. Known as "The Pink Lady of La Jolla" because of its rosy exterior, this hotel houses uniquely styled guest rooms. No matter which room you end up in, you'll find amenities like plasma TVs, complimentary Wi-Fi access, Keurig coffee makers and minibars. For an ocean view, be prepared to shell out a pretty penny. But if you're willing to look out onto La Jolla's little city, you'll save some bucks.
- Read MoreThe Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa can easily be judged by its cover: The hacienda-style property sits on 10 acres of well-manicured gardens. The hotel's 210 rooms keep up luxury appearances, boasting Turkish cotton linens and Smart TVs as well as private furnished balconies in some. Recent travelers describe this La Jolla hotel as "stunning" and praised the in-house spa for its long list of treatments and additional facilities, such as the Eucalyptus steam room and the outdoor saltwater whirlpool. Mustangs & Burros treats diners to savory Southwestern cuisine, and the Trinitas Cellars Wine Bar makes a great spot for an evening drink. However, the hotel is a 15-mile drive northwest of downtown San Diego, so it may not be the best choice for sightseers.
- View all PhotosDel Mar, CA18.8 miles to city centerTripAdvisor (1202)Free WiFiRead MoreAt the center of the Del Mar Village north of San Diego, L'Auberge Del Mar offers lavish comforts in a relaxed setting. Recent guests say that the friendly staff – particularly behind the front desk – were always eager to lend a hand. With plush beds and a light color palette, the rooms exude a quaint rather than ritzy atmosphere, according to visitors. The property also encourages visitors to take advantage of the treatments offered at Spa L'Auberge and the fresh seafood served at both Coastline and Living Room. But travelers say L'Auberge's best asset is its proximity to the beach – just a short downhill walk. The hotel's location also places guests near boutique shops, golf courses and Del Mar Racing track. Though there are hefty resort and parking fees at this hotel, other amenities like a fitness center, business center and complimentary shuttle service make staying here worthwhile.
- Read MoreThe Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel earns major points with guests for its location – adjacent to the Santa Monica Pier and Beach. But that's not all this family-friendly property has going for it. Those visiting La La Land with kids appreciated the hotel's professional babysitting services, a kids closet with movies and games and spacious accommodations (which come equipped with flat-screen TVs, free Wi-Fi access, Keurig coffee makers and 24-hour room service). And as a member of the pet-friendly Loews group, this property will also provide amenities for your four-legged family members. The hotel was also praised for its outdoor pool (which also boasts fire pits) and its four eateries. However, some guests note that the customer service here could use an improvement. On the upside, if you're a member of the Loews YouFirst rewards program, you can earn and use perks when staying here.4.5-star Hotel ClassFree WiFi
- View all PhotosGoleta, CA12.2 miles to city centerTripAdvisor (2665)Free WiFiRead MoreThe Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara in Goleta, California, has all the essentials of a luxury seaside resort – a spa, several infinity pools, multiple dining venues and, of course, dramatic Pacific Ocean views. The Ritz's 358 luxurious guest rooms feature gas or wood-burning fireplaces, marble showers and private patios or balconies, not to mention flat-screen TVs and complimentary Wi-Fi. When it's time for a meal, head to the oceanfront restaurant, Angel Oak, to feast on steak, seafood and more. Many guests are quick to note that the prices here are steep, especially if you indulge in a spa treatment or a fancy meal. But overall, visitors say they very much enjoyed their stay, chalking their good times up to excellent customer service and the property's relaxed atmosphere. Because of this hotel's Marriott ties, Marriott Bonvoy members can earn and use points by staying here.
- Read MoreLocated on the Sonoma Coast, Bodega Bay Lodge caters to the outdoorsy, luxury traveler. After a long day of deep sea fishing, kayaking, hiking or sunbathing at the beach, guests are thrilled to come back to this hotel's accommodations, outfitted with fireplaces, balconies, LCD flat-screen TVs, and minifridges. Overall, previous guests report having an excellent time here. Travelers love the tranquil atmosphere found at the spa, which provides a long list of massages and skin treatments, plus the hotel offers a heated swimming pool, a whirlpool and a fitness center. Guests can take a daytrip to the nearby wineries such as Marimar Estate Vineyards, located just 15 miles away. Staying in wine country also means the chance to taste test some local vintages, which go great with the fresh, coastal cuisine served up at Drakes Sonoma Coast Kitchen. Last, but certainly not least, visitors are quick to praise the hotel staff, which wins over recent travelers with friendly and efficient service.Free ParkingFree WiFi
- Read MoreJust off the Pacific Coast Highway in ritzy Malibu, California, the Malibu Beach Inn specializes in relaxation. The property's 47 guest rooms are feature soothing neutral tones, wenge wood furnishings, balconies or terraces, and natural tile in the bathrooms. Each accommodation also features Nespresso coffee makers, flat-screen TVs, in-room entertainment systems and complimentary Wi-Fi access. When staying at the Malibu Beach Inn, guests have access to a private beach, as well as spa services and upscale coastal cuisine at the Carbon Beach Club (think whole branzino and filet mignon). Previous visitors described the property as beautiful and praise the on-site amenities, though some report a few customer service snafus.4.5-star Hotel ClassFree WiFi
- Read MoreThe Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa occupies coveted real estate that overlooks Monterey Bay from Cannery Row. Recent visitors raved about the hotel's proximity to the aquarium and local shops, adding that future lodgers should consult the concierge about area activities as there's much to do nearby. Guests also highly suggest paying a slightly higher rate to get an oceanfront room. But no matter where you're sleeping, you'll find amenities like flat-screen TVs, marble bathrooms, Keurig coffee makers and microfiber beds. The Vista Blue Spa, located on the top floor of the hotel, gets rave reviews from guests for its outdoor hot tubs and long list of services. And while the Helmsman Lounge offers live music, cocktails and light bites, the indoor terrace restaurant, Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar, is not to be missed, either.Free ParkingFree WiFi
- Read MoreThough it might be the one of the oldest hotels in La Jolla, The Grande Colonial Hotel hides its age well. Guests describe the accommodations here as immaculate, as they are decorated in blues and yellows and equipped with down bedding and modern amenities such as LCD televisions, free Wi-Fi access and Keurig coffee makers. The property also includes an outdoor pool, and the on-site restaurant, NINE-TEN Restaurant & Bar, receives rave reviews for its farm-to-table cuisine. But according to recent visitors, it was The Grande Colonial's charm that convinced them to return in the future. Guests say that the customer service here was fantastic, and the ambiance felt relaxed, comfortable and unique. You'll find The Grande Colonial Hotel on Prospect Street, just a few blocks from the shore and about 13 miles north of San Diego. Beware that you'll have to shell out for parking, though, if you bring your own vehicle.
If you make a purchase from our site, we may earn a commission. This does not affect the quality or independence of our editorial content.