- View all PhotosRancho Santa Fe, CATripAdvisor (363)Free ParkingFree WiFiRead MoreAbout a 30-minute drive north of San Diego, Rancho Valencia is a little off the beaten path. But that's why people love it. This Relais & Châteaux property brims with carefully manicured greenery on top of plenty of amenities and activities to woo any type of traveler. Visitors are complimentary of the respectful, thoughtful staff while guest rooms stun for their aesthetic. Accommodations here exude a Mediterranean ambiance with hacienda-style architecture, hardwood furnishings and colorful design accents, as well as deep-soaking tubs and private balconies or patios. For pampering, Rancho Valencia's spa offers indulgences such as herb-infused body wraps and a variety of massage therapies. The delicious cuisine served at the on-site Veladora restaurant complements the serene environment.
- View all PhotosSan Diego, CA16 miles to city centerTripAdvisor (2014)Free BreakfastFree ParkingFree WiFiRead MoreAbout 20 miles north of central San Diego in Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve, the Fairmont Grand Del Mar offers coastal California visitors a hearty helping of luxury from the moment they enter the lobby. Guests rave about the incredibly spacious guest rooms, saying that the deep-soaking tubs, Nespresso coffee makers and rich Tuscan decor makes for a relaxing stay. And if that isn't enough, there's also a five-star spa, swimming pools and a Tom Fazio-designed golf course. The Grand Del Mar also receives high marks for its cuisine; the hotel's Addison and Amaya restaurants respectively serve award-winning French and Mediterranean fare coupled with regional wines. Add to that the hotel's consistently friendly customer service, and it's easy to see why guests frequently refer to their stays here as five-star experiences. As a member of the AccorHotels portfolio, this hotel allows guests to earn and redeem Le Club AccorHotels perks.Free BreakfastFree ParkingFree WiFi
- Read MoreVisitors are impressed with the Bardessono's environmental stewardship, daring architecture and exceptional service. This LEED Platinum Certified hotel in Yountville, California, is dedicated to protecting the environment while providing a luxury experience for guests. Accommodations are heated and cooled using an underground geothermal system, while rooftop solar panels keep the lights on. Visitors are certainly respectful of Bardessono's mission, but they're more vocal about the property's deluxe amenities, praising the guest rooms' huge bathrooms and modern technology. The on-site spa and outdoor pool are also popular features, and many visitors are quick to praise the personalized customer service. Don't miss eating at the traveler-recommended Lucy Restaurant & Bar, which serves up seasonal, locally sourced cuisine and an extensive list of wines.Free ParkingFree WiFi
- Read MoreOverlooking several golf courses and the Pacific Ocean, The Resort at Pelican Hill earns praise for its relaxed ambiance and luxurious amenities, as does the impressive circular Coliseum Pool. Here, you'll have your choice of bungalow or villa accommodations – villas are more spacious with separate living quarters, making them a good choice for families. No matter which type of room you choose, you will be greeted with warm neutral tones, exposed wood-beam ceilings and Italian limestone fireplaces, not to mention views of the ocean or the fairways from private terraces. Families particularly enjoy The Resort at Pelican Hill thanks to its abundant outdoor activities for teens and the Camp Pelican program and clubhouse, which offers games for kids of all ages. Adults also have opportunities for fun on the spectacular golf course, at The Spa at Pelican Hill or at one of the on-site eateries. You can find this hotel just south of Balboa Island along Highway 1.Free ParkingFree WiFi
- View all PhotosRutherford, CATripAdvisor (853)Free BreakfastFree ParkingFree WiFiRead MoreSituated in the quiet town of Rutherford in Napa Valley, Auberge du Soleil beautifully showcases the area's stunning vistas. But there's more than scenery to boast about here. This Auberge property also offers a well-equipped fitness center and spa, and you can arrange additional off-site activities, such as hot air balloon rides and golf outings, through the concierge. Should you prefer to stick around the resort, you can lounge away the hours by the pool, tour the Aerena Sculpture Garden or enjoy some private meditation in La Pagode. Foodies adore the gourmet meals served at the Restaurant at Auberge du Soleil, which specializes in Mediterranean cuisine and expert wine pairings. For a more relaxed atmosphere, you can grab a bite to eat at the Bistro & Bar. At the end of the day, luxury-seekers love the spacious guest rooms, which boast private balconies or terraces, fireplaces, as well as contemporary artwork and bath oils and candles for the room's soaking tubs. But keep in mind that a stay at this bit of heaven on earth – as it is often described by visitors – doesn't come cheap.Free BreakfastFree ParkingFree WiFi
- View all PhotosCalistoga, CATripAdvisor (845)Free ParkingFree WiFiRead MoreWhen you can simply borrow a Mercedes-Benz for an afternoon drive through wine country at no extra cost, you know you're experiencing the epitome of luxury. Here at Calistoga Ranch in northern Napa Valley, guests rejoice in luxury amenities that include the Mercedes-Benz Drive Program, a private lake, a private wine cave and more. And when they need a little rest and relaxation, visitors head to Calistoga's spa for outdoor lakeside treatments or a dip in the on-site mineral pool. If your interests lie more in gastronomy, head to The Lakehouse where vino makes the perfect accompaniment to the restaurant's California cuisine. Travelers say they relish the privacy and comfort offered in this Auberge resort's free-standing guest accommodations, which feature fireplaces, private decks and outdoor rain showers, not to mention floor-to-ceiling windows and warm, wooden decor.
- Read MoreImpeccable service and beautiful grounds are what people expect at Ventana, and, according to recent travelers, guests get those luxuries with a whole lot more. Guests have opportunities to work up a sweat while hiking or taking an outdoor yoga class before cooling off at the spa or in one of two on-site pools (one of which is clothing-optional). Recent diners also rave about the delicious cuisine served at The Sur House, which features a menu composed of locally sourced ingredients prepared in creative ways and served alongside the restaurant's fine wine list. And, although the accommodations vary in size from approximately 414 to nearly 1,200 square feet, all of the rooms feature comfortable beds, artisan-curated minibars and private decks offering breathtaking views of Big Sur's scenery. Ventana Inn & Spa is located about 30 miles south of Monterey along Highway 1.4.5-star Hotel ClassFree ParkingFree WiFi
- Read MoreSitting on 250 acres in quaint St. Helena, California, Meadowood Napa Valley resort automatically wins guests over with its serene landscape and isolation. The guest room decor embodies a rustic elegance, with cottage-like beamed ceilings, private terraces and, in most rooms, fireplaces. Although the cost of a stay here is admittedly steep, many travelers feel the exceptional service and on-site activities, such as croquet, tennis and golf, make the expense worthwhile. Guests will also find several pools and an extensive fitness center here. Meanwhile, those who splurged on a treatment at the on-site spa certainly didn't regret it, nor did they have second thoughts about repeat meals at The Restaurant. Should you stay at the Meadowood, you'll be close to the Castello di Amorosa Winery and Schramsberg Vineyards, both of which offer exceptional tours and tastings.
- View all PhotosCalistoga, CATripAdvisor (1096)Free ParkingFree WiFiRead MoreSolage hardly misses a step when it comes to pleasing guests. This Auberge Resorts outpost's 89 suites and studios are set on 22 acres of beautifully landscaped property and come equipped with amenities such as LCD televisions, iPod docking stations and high-speed internet access. And recent lodgers praise the quality of the beds and the extra large bathrooms. Guests also rave about the complimentary cruiser bikes that give personality to the resort. And the lodging decor – composed of neutral hues, expansive windows and fairly simple accents – makes for a relaxing respite. Meanwhile, the Michelin-starred Solbar restaurant garners rave reviews for its outdoor dining space and inventive "California soul food." The Spa Solage is also unique for its "mud bar" and on-site geothermal pools. You'll find this hotel on the northern fringes of Calistoga in northern Napa Valley.4.5-star Hotel ClassFree ParkingFree WiFi
- Read MoreA pristine retreat along the Pacific Ocean less than an hour south of Monterey in Big Sur, the Post Ranch Inn is renowned for its rustic atmosphere and indulgent comfort. Guests delight in the views from their guest rooms, gazing at either rising mountains or the expansive seas. The hotel's 39 rooms were designed for utter relaxation – you won't find TVs here, but rather wood-burning fireplaces, private hot tubs and binoculars to help you see more clearly from your personal deck. Should you need your fix of TV, you can head to the library, although the inn's activities should be enough to keep you busy. When visitors are not taking advantage of the on-site amenities – the pools (some of the world's most beautiful), spa, yoga classes and star-gazing excursions, to name a few – they are appreciating the great outdoors on local hikes or watching the sun set over nearby Pfeiffer Beach. No matter how you choose to spend your stay, previous visitors insist that a meal at Sierra Mar must work its way into your schedule.Free BreakfastFree ParkingFree WiFi
- Read MoreUnlike many of its Monterey Peninsula competitors, the Bernardus Lodge is situated away from the beach in the rugged hills and vineyards of Carmel Valley, California. With Nespresso coffee makers and a complimentary wine bar stocked with Bernardus wines, the guest rooms at this property aspire to a homey atmosphere that encourages you to indulge. Guests also appreciate the large tubs and the private balconies or terraces overlooking the property's gardens and the nearby mountains. The boutique resort's romantic side can be found at its restaurant and in the spa, which offers couples treatments. And despite the availability of wireless internet, guests find this the perfect place to disconnect from the outside world. Lastly, guests should not neglect exploring the Bernardus Winery, which offers daily tastings. Though this hotel charges a daily resort fee, it includes free parking and a 24-hour concierge service, among other amenities.4.5-star Hotel ClassFree ParkingFree WiFi
- Read MoreThe smallest and most intimate of the Pebble Beach Resorts, Casa Palmero is an exquisite, 24-room property along the fairways of Pebble Beach Golf Links. The attention to detail is evident throughout this Italian villa-inspired property: Guests claim that staff members bend over backward to make guests comfortable, including delivering breakfast baskets to your room each morning and replenishing flowers in your room daily. Not to mention, there are complimentary cocktails served at the hotel every evening. Should you want to explore beyond the premises, guests are allowed access to the Pebble Beach resort's Beach & Tennis Club, as well as the spa. Keep in mind that you need to stay at least two nights here, at The Inn at Spanish Bay or at The Lodge at Pebble Beach to get a reserved tee time on the course. And be sure to book the tee time when you reserve your room to ensure your spot. As a member of the Preferred portfolio, iPrefer members can earn and use points here.Free BreakfastFree ParkingFree WiFi
- Read MorePrevious guests praise the rejuvenating and romantic powers of the Ojai Valley Inn, located about 40 miles east of Santa Barbara, California. Hosting an 18-hole golf course, several tennis courts and an award-winning spa, the Ojai Valley Inn's sprawling grounds have all the makings of a relaxing getaway. Ojai Valley Inn's 303 guest rooms and suites boast elegant grey and white decor, as well as custom bedding, flat-screen TVs with DVD/Blu-ray players and in-room pantries. (Some rooms also feature private balconies and fireplaces). Between enjoying Ojai Valley Inn's facilities and heading off to bed, travelers recommend sampling the cuisine at one of the on-site eateries; The Oak is the standout, with diners saying that outside seating and tasty lunch and dinner offerings will make you want to return to again and again.Free ParkingFree WiFi
- Read MoreFor golf fans, a stay at The Lodge at Pebble Beach – which sits on the 18th hole of the historic Pebble Beach Golf Links – is a dream come true. You won't regret requesting a room that overlooks the fairway and the Pacific Ocean. Aside from the outstanding views, recent visitors rave about the staff, calling them professional and attentive. There are five exceptional bars and restaurants on-site, as well as multiple shops. Access to the Beach & Tennis Club is also free for guests. Just keep in mind that you must stay at least two nights at the Lodge (or The Inn at Spanish Bay or Casa Palmero) to get a reserved tee time on the course, and you'll have better luck securing a spot if you book your tee time when you reserve your hotel room.Free ParkingFree WiFi
- Read MoreRecent visitors say that CordeValle — located just 30 miles southeast of downtown San Jose, California — serves as an indulgent retreat from Silicon Valley. The isolated setting wins over guests with its views of the Santa Cruz Mountains. While here, travelers can work on their golf game at the surrounding course, or practice their backhand on the tennis courts. For a more relaxing day, plan to lounge alongside the heated outdoor pool, or book a massage or a skin treatment at Sense Spa. Guests can indulge their senses further at the three eateries; previous guests say that the food here is expensive but worth the price. What's more, visitors can head to the on-site winery for a tour and some tastings. At the end of the day, CordeValle's 45 enormous rooms enchant many previous visitors with their fireplaces, private patios and spectacular views. Yet travelers say that it's the friendly customer service staff at this Rosewood property that makes staying here truly enjoyable.
- Read MoreSouthwest of Palo Alto, California, in a quieter part of Silicon Valley, the Rosewood Sand Hill offers a relaxing night's stay splayed out on 16 carefully landscaped acres. The hotel's interior is just as beautiful as its surroundings, with plush furnishings, a muted color palate and a wealth of amenities. Guest rooms and suites all come equipped with marble bathrooms, private balconies or terraces, Italian bed linens, Nespresso coffee makers and flat-screen TVs. The indulgence continues at the Sense Spa, Alex Chases Salon and at the on-site restaurant, Madera. This Michelin-starred eatery wows diners with its American cuisine. However, for many visitors, it was this Rosewood property's friendly employees that truly made their stay.
- Read MoreLocated along the South Shore in Lake Tahoe, about 60 miles south of Reno, Nevada, the Landing Resort & Spa is a 77-room lakefront hotel. Guest rooms here boast heated bathroom floors, flat-screen TVs and fireplaces. The resort's location makes for a good spot for travelers craving outdoor pursuits, including skiing, snowmobiling, swimming at the nearby beach, fishing and golfing. Plus, the hotel puts guests within easy reach of Edgewood Tahoe Golf Course, South Tahoe's casinos and Heavenly Mountain Resort, a popular ski resort. Recent visitors praise the hotel's lakeside location and the California cuisine served on-site at Jimmy's Restaurant. Other on-site features include a spa, an outdoor pool and hot tub, a 2,000 wine vault. Overall, the Landing Resort & Spa makes for an upscale home base for those looking to enjoy the many outdoor activities in Lake Tahoe, though some guests lamented the $25 daily resort fee tacked onto their final bill.Free ParkingFree WiFi
- Read MoreSet in Forestville, California among the Sonoma vineyards and surrounded by gardens, the Farmhouse Inn is a quaint retreat. The inn's 25 rooms and suites feature varied amenities, but most include feather beds, flat-screen TVs, free Wi-Fi access and bathrooms with jetted tubs and steam showers. The property is also home to a spa with treatments that use ingredients harvested on-site, as well as a seasonal outdoor pool and a hot tub. The Michelin-starred restaurant at Farmhouse Inn is lauded for its tasty cuisine and excellent wine program. Many said dinner at the restaurant was the highlight of their stay (though note, you should book reservations several weeks in advance). And those with a sweet tooth can cap off their night with s'mores around the fire pit. While most enjoyed their stays, several noted that a vacation here will cost a pretty penny. As a member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts, Farmhouse Inn is part of the iPrefer rewards program, meaning members can earn points and redeem perks here.
- Read MorePerfectly situated in the heart of Carmel, California, and just a 15-minute walk to Carmel Beach, L'Auberge Carmel, charms guests with its intimate luxury. With only 20 rooms, this Relais & Châteaux property appeals to travelers looking for an experience more akin to that provided by a bed-and-breakfast without sacrificing the amenities – like in-room spa services and the gourmet California cuisine served at Aubergine – found at a deluxe hotel. Guest rooms here all feature unique decor, but no matter which accommodation you occupy, you'll be treated to down bedding, soaking tubs and iPod docking stations. Previous visitors raved about the hotel's European influence, though some wished the small property had more on-site amenities.Free BreakfastFree ParkingFree WiFi
- Read MoreSitting just a few miles southwest of Napa, California, Carneros Resort and Spa is often described by recent travelers as charming and quiet. Accommodations consist of cottages, suites and homes. Many previous visitors recommend reserving a cottage for an added sense of privacy. (Guests also suggest requesting a room that's not near the highway for a more peaceful night's sleep.) But no matter which type of lodging you choose, you'll find yourself with a flat-screen TV, a Nespresso coffee machine, heated bathroom floors and a private outdoor patio with a garden. When you crave a change of scenery, take some time to explore all 22 acres of the property – you'll find a vegetable garden, two pools with hot tubs, a general store, three restaurants and The Spa at Carneros. Other amenities – such as weekend fitness classes, use of loaner bicycles and on-site parking – are covered by the property's daily $36 resort fee. Members of the I Prefer program can offset costs by cashing in points here.Free ParkingFree WiFi
- Read MoreLike its sister properties, The Lodge at Pebble Beach and Casa Palmero, the Inn at Spanish Bay caters mostly to avid golfers and luxury travelers. Guests praise the staff for their exceptional service and friendly dispositions. The rooms, many of which face the ocean, are spacious, with flat-screen TVs, complimentary internet access and minibars – some accommodations even come with fireplaces and balconies. There are many restaurants and bars that reside in the Pebble Beach complex, but Pèppoli and Roy's are the true culinary standouts. Just keep in mind that you must stay at least two nights at the Inn at Spanish Bay, Casa Palmero or The Lodge at Pebble Beach to reserve a tee time on the Pebble Beach Golf Links. Located along 17-Mile Drive, closer to Monterey than Pebble Beach, the hotel allows guests to enjoy easy access to all the shops and eateries near Cannery Row.
- Read MoreThe Vintners Inn sits on 92 acres of vineyards just north of Santa Rosa, California. Recent guests love the ample space and amenities that this property provides. A 2-mile hiking and jogging path will lead active travelers through the inn's surrounding vineyards, while those looking to indulge themselves can do so with an on-site spa treatment. Vintners Inn's guest rooms also earn praise for traveling duos, who very much enjoy savoring their complimentary half bottle of wine on their private balcony or patio. Accommodations also come with flat-screen TVs, minifridges, complimentary Wi-Fi access and a nightly turn down service with freshly baked cookies. To kick off a romantic evening, reserve a table at John Ash & Co.; Vintners's on-site restaurant specializing in local cuisine and perfect wine pairings. What's more, there is free on-site parking and a small plunge pool on-site. The only drawback? Your four-legged friend must stay at home.
- View all PhotosLa Quinta, CA16.3 miles to city centerTripAdvisor (2060)Free ParkingFree WiFiRead MoreWith the Santa Rosa Mountains as its backdrop, the La Quinta Resort & Club has been a desert getaway for the Hollywood elite since its opening in the 1920s. Stars such as Greta Garbo and Clark Gable used to seek refuge within the resort's whitewashed casitas, located around 127 miles from Los Angeles. Guest rooms maintain a relaxed yet luxurious ambiance with soothing design accents, leather furniture and fireplaces (in most rooms). The resorts' amenities will also provide visitors with all they need for a relaxing or an exciting getaway. Summer temperatures in the Coachella Valley can enter the triple digits, but La Quinta boasts 41 outdoor swimming pools to keep guests cool and comfortable. If it's not too hot, take advantage of this Waldorf Astoria-affiliated resort's five golf courses or the on-site tennis center, complete with 23 courts and private instruction. Recent travelers lauded La Quinta's seven in-house restaurants, especially the Mexican fare of Adobe Grill. However, get ready for a lot of walking: La Quinta's grounds are manicured and lovely, but it's a trek to span the property. Members of the Hilton Honors program can earn or redeem points by choosing to stay here, but make sure you're aware of the daily resort fee that applies to all guests.
- View all PhotosSonoma, CATripAdvisor (999)Free BreakfastFree ParkingFree WiFiRead MoreLocated in downtown Sonoma, the MacArthur Place Hotel & Spa wins praise from previous guests for its intimate atmosphere. Although it doesn't have the grandeur of other big-name luxury properties, travelers find this hotel's 64 rooms to be comfortable and homey with their cozy furnishings, LED televisions, custom Grape Seed bath products and minifridges. Meanwhile, the on-site spa offers a long list of massages, skin treatments and specialty services that will lull stressed-out visitors into a relaxed haze. And though MacArthur Place's central locale puts it within easy reach of a number of Sonoma eateries, previous guests highly recommend sitting down to dine at Saddles Steakhouse: the in-house restaurant pairs award-winning cuts of meat with an extensive wine list composed of local Sonoma and Napa Valley vinos. Just beware of the daily $25 resort fee when booking your accommodations here.Free BreakfastFree ParkingFree WiFi
- Read MoreGuests gush over the gorgeous landscapes (spanning across 500 acres) that surround the Carmel Valley Ranch, not to mention the stunning golf course, the massive fitness center and the sensual Spa Aiyana. But back to the great outdoors: While here, don't miss the chance to roam the ranch's wide lavender fields to learn about beekeeping. Guests recommend eating at the Valley Kitchen for fresh, locally sourced dishes and outstanding customer service, or head to the River Ranch Café for a more casual vibe. And then there are the suites, where you can spread out in anywhere from 650 to 1,200 square feet of space, which all include 42-inch flat-screens with Blu-ray players, Travertine fireplaces and free wireless internet.
If you make a purchase from our site, we may earn a commission. This does not affect the quality or independence of our editorial content.