- Read MoreLocated along the South Shore in Lake Tahoe, about 60 miles south of Reno, Nevada, the Landing Resort & Spa is a 77-room lakefront hotel. Guest rooms here boast heated bathroom floors, flat-screen TVs and fireplaces. The resort's location makes for a good spot for travelers craving outdoor pursuits, including skiing, snowmobiling, swimming at the nearby beach, fishing and golfing. Plus, the hotel puts guests within easy reach of Edgewood Tahoe Golf Course, South Tahoe's casinos and Heavenly Mountain Resort, a popular ski resort. Recent visitors praise the hotel's lakeside location and the California cuisine served on-site at Jimmy's Restaurant. Other on-site features include a spa, an outdoor pool and hot tub, a 2,000 wine vault. Overall, the Landing Resort & Spa makes for an upscale home base for those looking to enjoy the many outdoor activities in Lake Tahoe, though some guests lamented the $25 daily resort fee tacked onto their final bill.4.5-star Hotel ClassFree ParkingFree WiFi
- View all PhotosPalm Desert, CA11.4 miles to city centerTripAdvisor (2597)Free WiFiRead MoreYou wouldn't know that you're in the middle of the desert at this resplendent resort. Lakes, pools and verdant golf greens surround the hotel. And you won't be hoping for an oasis to appear over the horizon – guests of the JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa in Palm Desert, California, have access to a Starbucks, a Japanese steakhouse and four other eateries. Visitors love hitting balls on the two 18-hole golf courses and on the tennis courts. And for a more relaxing day, the resort boasts multiple pools, a whirlpool and a spa. Guest rooms here take their inspiration from the desert, with decor comprising warm red and brown hues, but those who hang their hats here are hardly roughing it. Each room comes a balcony, floor-to-ceiling windows, marble bathrooms and flat-screen TVs. Although this oasis is costly, especially when considering the added resort fees, JW Marriott frequenters happily fork over the cash for the luxuries they so relish (and perhaps save some with their Marriott Bonvoy points).4.5-star Hotel ClassFree WiFi
- View all PhotosLake Arrowhead, CATripAdvisor (594)Free ParkingFree WiFiRead MoreFirst-time travelers to Southern California might have been imagining a beachfront hotel, but Lake Arrowhead Resort and Spa near San Bernardino, California, (about 80 miles east of Los Angeles) tries to convince them that a spot on a lake is just as nice. Instead of an ocean villa, guests inhabit lodge-like rooms with dark wood and leather furniture. Yet for many guests, a stay here isn't always worth the lofty room rates, especially given what some visitors describe as subpar customer service. However, there are quite a few desirable qualities about the Lake Arrowhead Resort: For one, the Spa of the Pines offers a variety of massages, skin treatments and fitness sessions, and the in-house eatery, BIN 189, earns praise for its rustic, flavorful cuisine. What's more, this property is a member of the Autograph Collection hotels family, meaning that members of the Marriott Bonvoy program can earn and redeem points here.4.0-star Hotel ClassFree ParkingFree WiFi
- View all PhotosSouth Lake Tahoe, CATripAdvisor (1015)Free WiFiRead MoreLocated in South Lake Tahoe (on the California side of the lake), the spacious lodgings at the Grand Residences by Marriott are ideal for vacationing families. Skiers appreciate that the gondola up to the Heavenly Ski Resort is just steps from the front door. When you need to thaw, take a dip in the hotel's heated pool or hot tub. Because this is a Grand Residence, the rooms are owned by Marriott Vacation Club members, meaning that the amenities resemble those of timeshares more than hotel rooms; you'll get a fully equipped kitchen and dining area. Even though the resort does not charge for Wi-Fi usage, the $29 per day valet parking fee galled many recent guests. This property is a Marriott Bonvoy category 8, meaning that members need at least 35,000 points to book a free night.4.0-star Hotel ClassFree WiFi
- Read MoreIf you've come to Lake Tahoe for snow, you can't get much closer than this. Marriott's Timber Lodge in South Lake Tahoe sits in close proximity from the Heavenly Mountain Ski Resort, offering guests prime access to one of the region's most popular ski areas. Guests can also easily access the Heavenly Gondola, which provides a scenic trip to the ski runs. The hotel itself is modeled after the quintessential ski lodge, with a cabin-like exterior and a steamy hot tub to help you thaw out after a day on the slopes. Guests love the villa-style lodgings, saying that the in-suite dining areas and kitchenettes, as well as the separate living and sleeping areas, gave this resort a homey feel. And if you've got kids in tow, the lodge offers a variety of activities and videogame systems to help every member of your family have fun. Marriott Bonvoy members can earn and redeem points at this property.4.0-star Hotel ClassFree WiFi
If you make a purchase from our site, we may earn a commission. This does not affect the quality or independence of our editorial content.