What to Eat in Lisbon
Lisbon is among the easiest cities in Europe to find a good, affordable meal. This is true for breakfast, lunch, dinner and any meal in between – even in many tourist districts. If you're on a budget, it's possible to experience the best of traditional Portuguese food for less than 30 euros per day, per person. For a veritable smorgasbord of all the city's cuisines, head to Time Out Market. Located in the Mercado da Ribeira at Cais do Sodre, the food hall is filled to the brim with a variety of vendors selling everything from sushi to wine to Iberico ham. You'll encounter crowds anytime you go, but past visitors said it's worth it.
Lisbon also has a cosmopolitan restaurant scene, and you can find just about any type of cuisine around town. For Portuguese haute cuisine accompanied by two Michelin stars, try Belcanto; for a family-run seafood joint, try Cervejaria Ramiro. The Portuguese have cultivated a rich seafood diet, and you can find fish and shellfish on most lunch and dinner menus. Bacalhau (salted cod) is an especially popular traditional Portuguese dish. But it's an acquired taste, so you might want to consider a backup option if you're not feeling adventurous.
Another Lisbon specialty to try? Pasteis de nata. These tasty custard-filled pastries are everywhere in Lisbon. Eaten for breakfast, an afternoon snack, or both, pasteis de nata are full of sugar and satisfaction. The most famous ones can be found at the Pasteis de Belém (in the district of the same name), which began selling them 200 years ago. Lisbon also has its own alcoholic drink – ginjinha – a fortified wine made with cherries and sugar. For short, you can call it "ginja," and you should try it at the hole-in-the-wall A Ginjinha near the Rossio metro station.
Discerning foodies in the know also rave about the city's Chinese food. Called Chinês clandestinos, these restaurants are mostly family-run outposts that are set up in the homes of local Chinese residents. You'll find them stowed within apartments in Mouraria, the city's immigrant enclave. Most don't have names and are only identifiable by their addresses. Keep your eyes peeled if you're in the area of Rua do Benformoso, Rua da Guia or and Rua do Capelão.
When it comes to coffee, the Portuguese know how to enjoy it more than just about anyone else. Whether in the morning or afternoon, you can find Lisboetas packed into cafes. Don't assume cafes or "coffee shops" are necessarily limited to coffee, however: Affordable wine, beer, pastries and even full meals are available. It's pretty easy to find a beer for less than 1 euro, for example, even in some touristy cafes.
Find the Best Restaurants in Lisbon
- #1Sem Multa#1 of 5,790 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (78)$ - $$ | Seafood, Mediterranean, European, PortugueseRua de Sao Paulo 27, Lisbon 1200-426 PortugalRead More »
- #2Estamine Art Food Drink#2 of 5,790 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (578)$ | Bar, Pub, Healthy, BrazilianCalcada do Monte 86 A Não, Lisbon 1170-251 PortugalRead More »
- #3Jam Club#3 of 5,790 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (751)$ | Bar, PortugueseTravessa dos Inglesinhos n0 49 Near the conservatory of music, Lisbon 1200-109 PortugalRead More »
- #4Augusto Lisboa#4 of 5,790 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (1200)$ - $$ | European, PortugueseRua Santa Marinha 26, Lisbon 1100-491 PortugalRead More »
- #5Pastelaria Guadalupe#5 of 5,790 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (203)$ | Cafe, Portuguese, EuropeanRua do Terreiro do Trigo 24, Lisbon 1100-604 PortugalRead More »
- #6A Nossa Casa#6 of 5,790 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (728)$ - $$ | Brazilian, Mediterranean, European, PortugueseRua da Atalaia 31 Bairro Alto, Lisbon 1200-037 PortugalRead More »
- #7Invicta#7 of 5,790 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (380)$ - $$ | Seafood, Mediterranean, European, Grill, Portuguese, GastropubRua da Esperanca 140, Lisbon 1200-659 PortugalRead More »
- #8Rose Stupa Resturant#8 of 5,790 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (236)$ | Indian, International, Asian, NepaliRua Ponta Delgada 80B In front of Finanças Office, Lisbon 1000-244 PortugalRead More »
- #9A Obra#9 of 5,790 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (123)$ - $$ | Mediterranean, European, PortugueseRua da Silva 21, Lisbon 1200-446 PortugalRead More »
- #10Manteigaria#10 of 5,790 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (4722)$ | PortugueseRua do Loreto 2 Largo de Camões, Lisbon 1200-242 PortugalRead More »
- #11Bottega Montucci#11 of 5,790 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (681)$ - $$ | Italian, Wine Bar, Mediterranean, European, PortugueseRua do Monte Olivete 71, Lisbon 1200-079 PortugalRead More »
- #12Sanskar Nepal#12 of 5,790 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (1156)$ | IndianRua das Chagas 25, Lisbon 1200-106 PortugalRead More »
- #13A Taberna do Mar#13 of 5,790 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (99)$ - $$ | Seafood, Portuguese, Fusion, HealthyCalcada da Graca 20B Miradouro da Graça, Lisbon 1100-266 PortugalRead More »
- #14Royal Spice Restaurante#14 of 5,790 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (757)$ - $$ | Indian, Asian, Nepali, HealthyRua do Conde de Redondo 127A 127 A, Lisbon 1150-104 PortugalRead More »
- #15Agulha No Palheiro#15 of 5,790 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (586)$ - $$ | Mediterranean, European, Portuguese, Contemporary, FusionRua do Jardim do Tabaco 5, Lisbon 1100-286 PortugalRead More »
- #16Nova Wine Bar#16 of 5,790 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (449)$ - $$ | Mediterranean, Portuguese, Wine BarRua Nova do Almada 20, Lisbon 1200-289 PortugalRead More »
- #17Legumi Sushi Vegan#17 of 5,790 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (134)$ - $$ | Japanese, Sushi, International, Asian, Fusion, HealthyCalcada do Monte 92A Ao lado do miradouro Nossa Senhor do Monte, Lisbon 1170-250 PortugalRead More »
- #18Come Prima Restaurante Italiano#18 of 5,790 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (2436)$ - $$ | Italian, Pizza, Mediterranean, Neapolitan, Campania, Tuscan, Romana, Lazio, Central-Italian, Southern-ItalianRua do Olival 256, Lisbon 1200-744 PortugalRead More »
- #19Ha Tapas no Mercado!!!#19 of 5,790 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (864)$ | European, Portuguese, Soups, MediterraneanRua Angela Pinto 12 Mercado de Arroios, Loja 20, Lisbon 1900-067 PortugalRead More »
- #20Wine Room Lisboa#20 of 5,790 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (301)$ - $$ | Mediterranean, European, Portuguese, Wine Bar, HealthyTravessa da Memoria 47A Belém, Lisbon 1300-402 PortugalRead More »
Explore More of Lisbon
If you make a purchase from our site, we may earn a commission. This does not affect the quality or independence of our editorial content.
Holly JohnsonJanuary 16, 2020
Kyle McCarthyJanuary 8, 2020
Lyn MettlerDecember 23, 2019
Gwen PratesiDecember 9, 2019
Lyn MettlerNovember 25, 2019
Kyle McCarthyNovember 21, 2019
Holly JohnsonNovember 14, 2019
Gwen PratesiNovember 12, 2019
Christine SmithNovember 12, 2019