What to Eat in Lisbon
Lisbon is among the easiest cities in Europe to find a good, affordable meal. This is true for breakfast, lunch, dinner and any meal in between – even in many tourist districts. If you're on a budget, it's possible to experience the best of traditional Portuguese food for less than 30 euros per day, per person. For a veritable smorgasbord of all the city's cuisines, head to Time Out Market. Located in the Mercado da Ribeira at Cais do Sodre, the food hall is filled to the brim with a variety of vendors selling everything from sushi to wine to Iberico ham. You'll encounter crowds anytime you go, but past visitors said it's worth it.
Lisbon also has a cosmopolitan restaurant scene, and you can find just about any type of cuisine around town. For Portuguese haute cuisine accompanied by two Michelin stars, try Belcanto; for a family-run seafood joint, try Cervejaria Ramiro. The Portuguese have cultivated a rich seafood diet, and you can find fish and shellfish on most lunch and dinner menus. Bacalhau (salted cod) is an especially popular traditional Portuguese dish. But it's an acquired taste, so you might want to consider a backup option if you're not feeling adventurous.
Another Lisbon specialty to try? Pasteis de nata. These tasty custard-filled pastries are everywhere in Lisbon. Eaten for breakfast, an afternoon snack, or both, pasteis de nata are full of sugar and satisfaction. The most famous ones can be found at the Pasteis de Belém (in the district of the same name), which began selling them 200 years ago. Lisbon also has its own alcoholic drink – ginjinha – a fortified wine made with cherries and sugar. For short, you can call it "ginja," and you should try it at the hole-in-the-wall A Ginjinha near the Rossio metro station.
Discerning foodies in the know also rave about the city's Chinese food. Called Chinês clandestinos, these restaurants are mostly family-run outposts that are set up in the homes of local Chinese residents. You'll find them stowed within apartments in Mouraria, the city's immigrant enclave. Most don't have names and are only identifiable by their addresses. Keep your eyes peeled if you're in the area of Rua do Benformoso, Rua da Guia or and Rua do Capelão.
When it comes to coffee, the Portuguese know how to enjoy it more than just about anyone else. Whether in the morning or afternoon, you can find Lisboetas packed into cafes. Don't assume cafes or "coffee shops" are necessarily limited to coffee, however: Affordable wine, beer, pastries and even full meals are available. It's pretty easy to find a beer for less than 1 euro, for example, even in some touristy cafes.
Find the Best Restaurants in Lisbon
- #1Rose Stupa Resturant#1 of 5,566 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (101)$ | International, Nepali, Bar, AsianRua Ponta Delgada 80B In front of Finanças Office, Lisbon 1000-244 PortugalRead More »
- #2Bottega Montucci#2 of 5,566 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (604)$ - $$ | Italian, Wine Bar, Mediterranean, European, PortugueseRua do Monte Olivete 71, Lisbon 1200-079 PortugalRead More »
- #3Pastelaria Guadalupe#3 of 5,566 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (117)$ | European, PortugueseRua do Terreiro do Trigo 30 34, Lisbon 1100-604 PortugalRead More »
- #4Estamine Art Food Drink#4 of 5,566 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (528)$ | Bar, Pub, Healthy, BrazilianCalcada do Monte 86 A Não, Lisbon 1170-251 PortugalRead More »
- #5A Nossa Casa#5 of 5,566 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (500)$ - $$ | Brazilian, Mediterranean, European, PortugueseRua da Atalaia 31 Bairro Alto, Lisbon 1200-037 PortugalRead More »
- #6Sanskar Nepal#6 of 5,566 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (1026)$ | IndianRua das Chagas 25, Lisbon 1200-106 PortugalRead More »
- #7Jam Club#7 of 5,566 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (572)$ | Bar, PortugueseTravessa dos Inglesinhos n0 49 Near the conservatory of music, Lisbon 1200-109 PortugalRead More »
- #8Wine Room Lisboa#8 of 5,566 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (236)$ - $$ | European, Portuguese, Wine Bar, Mediterranean, HealthyTravessa da Memoria 47A Belém, Lisbon 1300-402 PortugalRead More »
- #9Augusto Lisboa#9 of 5,566 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (996)$ - $$ | European, Portuguese, FrenchRua Santa Marinha 26, Lisbon 1100-491 PortugalRead More »
- #10Manteigaria#10 of 5,566 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (4447)$ | PortugueseRua do Loreto 2 Largo de Camões, Lisbon 1200-242 PortugalRead More »
- #11Dom Queijo Cheese House#11 of 5,566 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (219)$ - $$ | Contemporary, Portuguese, EuropeanCampo Grande 232-C, Lisbon 1700-094 PortugalRead More »
- #12Royal Spice Restaurante#12 of 5,566 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (616)$ - $$ | Indian, Asian, Nepali, HealthyRua do Conde de Redondo 127A 127 A, Lisbon 1150-104 PortugalRead More »
- #13Invicta#13 of 5,566 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (243)$ - $$ | Seafood, Mediterranean, European, Grill, Portuguese, GastropubRua da Esperanca 140, Lisbon 1200-659 PortugalRead More »
- #14Agulha No Palheiro#14 of 5,566 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (497)$ - $$ | Mediterranean, European, Portuguese, Contemporary, FusionRua do Jardim do Tabaco 5, Lisbon 1100-286 PortugalRead More »
- #15Santelmo Restaurante Cafe#15 of 5,566 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (319)$ - $$ | Mediterranean, Portuguese, EuropeanRua do Poco dos Negros 188, Lisbon 1200-342 PortugalRead More »
- #16Bettina & Niccolo Corallo#16 of 5,566 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (141)$ - $$ | CafeRua da Escola Politecnica 4, Lisbon 1250-102 PortugalRead More »
- #17Versiculo do Faia#17 of 5,566 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (412)$ - $$ | Mediterranean, European, PortugueseRua da Barroca 60A Bairro Alto, Lisbon 1200-050 PortugalRead More »
- #18Vermelhosa#18 of 5,566 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (88)$ - $$ | Deli, Contemporary, Portuguese, Cafe, French, EuropeanCalcada da Estrela 26, Lisbon 1200-664 PortugalRead More »
- #19Ola Nepal#19 of 5,566 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (1501)$ - $$ | Indian, Asian, NepaliRua do Conde de Redondo 121A Marquês de Pombal, Lisbon 1150-109 PortugalRead More »
- #20Ha Tapas no Mercado!!!#20 of 5,566 Places to Eat in LisbonTripAdvisor (791)$ | European, Portuguese, Soups, MediterraneanRua Angela Pinto 12 Mercado de Arroios, Loja 20, Lisbon 1900-067 PortugalRead More »
Explore More of Lisbon
When purchasing from our site, we may earn commissions. This does not affect the quality or independence of our editorial content.
Gwen PratesiAugust 19, 2019
Holly JohnsonAugust 8, 2019
Erin ShieldsAugust 6, 2019
Christine SmithAugust 6, 2019
Lyn MettlerJuly 26, 2019
Kyle McCarthyJuly 25, 2019
Kim Foley MacKinnonJuly 25, 2019
Kim Foley MacKinnonJuly 24, 2019
Gwen PratesiJuly 23, 2019