What to Eat in London
London used to be highly criticized for its heavy and uninspired menu items. Fish and chips (fried cod and french fries). Bangers and mash (sausages and mashed potatoes). Mince meat pies. You get the picture. Now, London is hailed as one of the world's best foodie cities. And with its melting pot of cultures, it's not difficult to see why. London offers everything from modern British to Malaysian cuisine.
To sample the best of the various cuisines London serves up, you need to know where to go. A food tour can be a great way to get your bearings. For Indian food, visit the curry houses on Brick Lane. If you want an authentic high tea experience, book reservations at The Langham, London, The Lanesborough or at Claridge's – but be sure to dress the part. If you're all about fine dining, check out the Michelin star-heavy Clerkenwell neighborhood. There you'll find St. John, the restaurant that garnered fame for utilizing the full body of meat in its dishes, coined as "nose-to-tail" dining.
If you're one for celebrity chefs, Gordon Ramsay has a number of restaurants in the city, including the Michelin-rated three-star restaurant, Restaurant Gordon Ramsay. Jamie Oliver also has four restaurants spread throughout the city. If you're looking for something a little quirky, try the two-star Michelin-rated brasserie-style Sketch, whose bathrooms are egg pods you step inside instead of traditional stalls. There's also The Attendant Cafe, which is housed in what used to be a Victorian restroom. Don't worry, it's immaculate in more ways than one. London also features great rooftop restaurants as well. For a meal with a side of vistas, head up to Sushi Samba or the 24-hour Duck & Waffle, which is billed as the highest restaurant in the U.K. from its 40th-floor perch.
Pub culture is huge in the U.K. If you're interested in getting a taste of British life that doesn't include visiting London's top attractions, it's best to grab a drink. Pubs serve much of the same drinks found in bars, but you must try a cider. There are a variety of flavors and brands available from traditional Magners or Strongbow ciders to those that are pear and strawberry flavored. Many pubs also serve meals throughout the day. You're likely to find traditional British dishes for a fraction of the price in pubs than you would in sit-down restaurants. Along with the traditional bangers and mash and fish and chips (which some argue taste better in pubs), you should make time for a traditional English breakfast and Sunday roast. Both are very hearty and a beloved culinary tradition among the Brits. If you're on the go and don't want to buy a sandwich from Pret A Manger, seek out pasty stands. Pasties are savory pastries typically packed with meat, potatoes or some vegetables. Pasties are filling and affordable and conveniently located in the larger train stations in London, such as Waterloo, King's Cross and Victoria stations.
Find the Best Restaurants in London
- #1Amrutha Lounge#1 of 24,088 Places to Eat in LondonTripAdvisor (624)$ - $$ | Indian, Asian, Healthy326 Garratt Lane Earlsfield, London SW18 4EJ EnglandRead More »
- #2Kennington Lane Cafe#2 of 24,088 Places to Eat in LondonTripAdvisor (1381)$ | Cafe, British383 Kennington Lane Vauxhall, London SE11 5QY EnglandRead More »
- #3Barge East#3 of 24,088 Places to Eat in LondonTripAdvisor (384)$ - $$ | BritishWhitepost Lane River Lee, Sweetwater Mooring, Hackney Wick, London E9 5EN EnglandRead More »
- #4Hiba Street#4 of 24,088 Places to Eat in LondonTripAdvisor (278)$ | Lebanese, Mediterranean, Street Food, Middle Eastern10 Tottenham Street Between Goodge Street Station and Warren Tube Station, London W1T 4RD EnglandRead More »
- #5Latitude#5 of 24,088 Places to Eat in LondonTripAdvisor (124)$ - $$ | European, International138 Merton Road, London SW19 1EH EnglandRead More »
- #6Falafel Feast#6 of 24,088 Places to Eat in LondonTripAdvisor (93)$ | Cafe, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Israeli, Fast Food377 Regents Park Road opp Station Rd, by Finchley Central Station, London N3 1DE EnglandRead More »
- #7The Rajdoot#7 of 24,088 Places to Eat in LondonTripAdvisor (296)$ - $$ | Indian, Asian, Grill104 Fleet Road Hampstead, London NW3 2QX EnglandRead More »
- #8Piate#8 of 24,088 Places to Eat in LondonTripAdvisor (88)$ - $$ | Mediterranean, European300 King Street Ravenscourt Park, London W6 0RR EnglandRead More »
- #9Core by Clare Smyth#9 of 24,088 Places to Eat in LondonTripAdvisor (775)$$ | French, European, British, Contemporary92 Kensington Park Road Notting Hill, London W11 2PN EnglandRead More »
- #10Taste Of Nawab#10 of 24,088 Places to Eat in LondonTripAdvisor (1063)$ - $$ | Indian97 Colney Hatch Lane Muswell Hill, London N10 1LR EnglandRead More »
- #11Indian Room#11 of 24,088 Places to Eat in LondonTripAdvisor (1034)$ - $$ | Indian59 Bedford Hill Balham, London SW12 9EZ EnglandRead More »
- #12Flour To The People!#12 of 24,088 Places to Eat in LondonTripAdvisor (316)$ - $$ | British, Pizza, Cafe, European573 Battersea Park Road SW11 3BJ, London SW11 3BJ EnglandRead More »
- #13Room 43 Bar & Kitchen#13 of 24,088 Places to Eat in LondonTripAdvisor (139)$ - $$ | Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Persian43 Lavender Hill, London SW11 5QW EnglandRead More »
- #14Pizza Union Spitalfields#14 of 24,088 Places to Eat in LondonTripAdvisor (2897)$ | Pizza, Fast Food25 Sandys Row, London E1 7HW EnglandRead More »
- #15Dobar#15 of 24,088 Places to Eat in LondonTripAdvisor (245)$ - $$ | Cafe, Mediterranean, European, British324A Green Lanes, London N4 1BX EnglandRead More »
- #16EaTurkish#16 of 24,088 Places to Eat in LondonTripAdvisor (261)$ | Fast Food, Mediterranean, Turkish, Middle Eastern172 Woolwich Road, London SE7 7RA EnglandRead More »
- #17The Lounge Cafe#17 of 24,088 Places to Eat in LondonTripAdvisor (221)$ | BritishWelford Centre 113 Chalkhill Road The Welford Centre, London HA9 9FX EnglandRead More »
- #18L'Angolo Bianco#18 of 24,088 Places to Eat in LondonTripAdvisor (154)$ - $$ | Italian, European49 Crawford Street, London W1H 1JZ EnglandRead More »
- #19The Clink Restaurant#19 of 24,088 Places to Eat in LondonTripAdvisor (1013)$ - $$ | European, British, ContemporaryBrixton Jebb Avenue Brixton, London SW2 5XF EnglandRead More »
- #20Beats Burgers Camden#20 of 24,088 Places to Eat in LondonTripAdvisor (68)$ | American, Grill9 Camden high street NW17JE, London NW1 7JE EnglandRead More »
Explore More of London
If you make a purchase from our site, we may earn a commission. This does not affect the quality or independence of our editorial content.