What to Eat in Ottawa
Much like the U.S. capital, Ottawa boasts a diverse and top-notch dining scene that caters to everyone from policy-making politicos to camera-wielding tourists. Since it's located across the Ottawa River from the French-speaking province of Quebec, it should come as no surprise that French food plays a starring role in the city's restaurant culture. In fact, Ottawa is home to the only Canadian campus of Le Cordon Bleu, an international culinary school. The campus is also home to a fine dining eatery, Signatures Restaurant, which is housed in a Tudor Revival-style mansion. If you want to sample French cuisine without paying a hefty price tag, consider making a lunch reservation here, when three-course meals are offered for CA$34 (around $26) per person.
Not one for French cuisine? How about Canadian instead? Several restaurants around the city offer Canadian or ("New Canadian") menus, including the award-winning Atelier, which serves a 12-course tasting menu every night. Though 12 courses may seem a bit intimidating, recent visitors raved about the interesting and creative dishes plated here. If you're looking for something a bit more approachable, consider Play Food & Wine, a small plates eatery that's lauded for its food and wine pairings and excellent service. Another small plates restaurant that's popular with locals and visitors: town. Visitors say this Italian-inspired outpost is a hit thanks to its convenient downtown location and its flavorful dishes. And when you're ready to sample some of the city's seafood, head to the Whalesbone Oyster House for (what else?) oysters. Though recent visitors do note that the restaurant is small and can be noisy, they can't deny the quality of the seafood.
Finally, to gain a more comprehensive understanding of the city's food culture, you must take a spin through ByWard Market, one of the country's oldest and largest public markets. And for an equally wide-ranging sample of Ottawa's beer scene, head to CRAFT Beer Market.
Find the Best Restaurants in Ottawa
- #1La Bottega#1 of 3,317 Places to Eat in OttawaTripAdvisor (515)$ | Italian64 George St, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 5V9 CanadaRead More »
- #2BeaverTails#2 of 3,317 Places to Eat in OttawaTripAdvisor (2549)$ | Fast Food, Canadian69 George St Byward Market, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 1K1 CanadaRead More »
- #3Cozmos Souvlaki#3 of 3,317 Places to Eat in OttawaTripAdvisor (235)$ | Fast Food, Mediterranean, Greek196 Greenbank Rd, Ottawa, Ontario K2H 8P3 CanadaRead More »
- #4Fraser Cafe#4 of 3,317 Places to Eat in OttawaTripAdvisor (746)$ - $$ | Canadian7 Springfield Rd, Ottawa, Ontario K1M 1C8 CanadaRead More »
- #5Shinka Sushi Bar#5 of 3,317 Places to Eat in OttawaTripAdvisor (293)$ - $$ | Japanese, Sushi, Asian150 Laurier Ave W, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5J4 CanadaRead More »
- #6Cumberland Pizza#6 of 3,317 Places to Eat in OttawaTripAdvisor (345)$ | Pizza, Greek, Canadian, Italian152 Nelson St, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 7R5 CanadaRead More »
- #7Sansotei Ramen#7 of 3,317 Places to Eat in OttawaTripAdvisor (173)$ - $$ | Japanese, Asian, Soups153 Bank St, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5N7 CanadaRead More »