What to Eat in Santorini
While in Santorini, take full advantage of the fresh Greek fare. The island's climate in combination with its volcanic soil enhance flavors of the fruits and vegetables grown here. As such, Santorini has made a name for itself in the wine community, making a visit to one of the island's wineries a top attraction. In addition to delectable grapes, make sure cherry tomatoes (especially sun-dried), capers and white eggplant are part of one or more of your meals during your time in Santorini. The sweetness and white color of the eggplants here are a direct result of being grown in volcanic soil. Cherry tomatoes are another fruit that can attribute their taste to the unique soil. If you like eggplant, then you'll no doubt enjoy moussaka, a Greek-style lasagna that features layered eggplant, minced meat, fixins and spices topped with béchamel sauce. Other must-try Greek specialties include anything with olives and olive oil, especially a traditional Greek salad, as well as fava, a traditional dip made of fava bean puree.
Greeks are all about their dips. Along with fava and the famous tzatziki sauce (yogurt, cucumber and garlic), another must-try and uber-traditional dip is taramasalata, made from smoked fish roe and mixed with olive oil and lemon juice. Other popular small bites include dolmades and keftedes. Regularly served before meals, dolmades are seasoned rice often mixed with meat or vegetables and wrapped entirely in a grape or vine leaf. Keftedes are fritters commonly mixed with cherry tomatoes (tomatokeftedes) or grated zucchini (kolokithokeftedes). If you're after something heartier, you're in luck: The island, as well as the whole of Greece, have a penchant for grilled meats. Souvlaki, or seasoned skewered meat, often topped with tzatziki, can be found all over. Octopus, which you'll likely find hanging by its tentacles outside seaside tavernas, are also popular. And, of course, you can't leave without grabbing a gyro. Whatever you choose to eat, make room for dessert – baklava, a filo pastry layered with honey and ground nuts and loukoumades, or deep-fried donut holes sprinkled with hot honey and cinnamon, are local favorites.
You can find everything from quick gyros to casual eateries to upscale restaurants throughout Santorini. Head to Restaurant 1800 in Oia for fine dining and expertly presented Mediterranean cuisine. If you can, snag a table on the roof to enjoy sweeping views of the island's cliffs. Selene is another upscale option, conveniently located in Pyrgros, which houses a number of wineries. In Fira, the hundreds-year-old Taverna Nikolas is as traditional as it gets, offering classic Greek dishes at affordable prices. For a little romance, enjoy a candle-lit dinner at the edge of the caldera at Ambrosia.
Find the Best Restaurants in Santorini
- #1Le Ciel Restaurant#1 of 42 Places to Eat in ImerovigliTripAdvisor (136)$$ | International, Mediterranean, European, GreekEpar.Od. Firon-Ias, Imerovigli 847 00 GreeceRead More »
- #1Stoa Santorini#1 of 177 Places to Eat in FiraTripAdvisor (148)$ - $$ | Cafe, Greek, Wine Bar, BarDanezi, Fira 84700 GreeceRead More »
- #1Jaipur Palace Santorini#1 of 15 Places to Eat in KarteradhosTripAdvisor (1599)$ - $$ | Indian, AsianFira, Karteradhos 847 00 GreeceRead More »
- #2Confetti Dessert Boutique#2 of 42 Places to Eat in ImerovigliTripAdvisor (159)$ - $$ | Cafe, InternationalHeroon street, Imerovigli 84700 GreeceRead More »
- #1Armeni Restaurant#1 of 97 Places to Eat in OiaTripAdvisor (322)$ - $$ | Seafood, Mediterranean, GreekOia Santorini Old Port of Armeni, Oia 847 02 GreeceRead More »
- #1To Kafenedaki tou Emboriou#1 of 12 Places to Eat in EmporioTripAdvisor (229)$ - $$ | Cafe, Mediterranean, GreekEmporio 86330 GreeceRead More »
- #3FlyAway Creative Restaurant & Bar Powered by West East Suites#3 of 42 Places to Eat in ImerovigliTripAdvisor (325)$$ | Mediterranean, Greek, Seafood, European, ContemporaryEparchiaki Odos Firon - Ias West East Suites, Imerovigli 84700 GreeceRead More »
- #2Rakadiko MeRaki#2 of 177 Places to Eat in FiraTripAdvisor (371)$ - $$ | Greek, Mediterranean, GrillFira 84700 GreeceRead More »
- #1Il Forno Pizza and Pasta#1 of 118 Places to Eat in KamariTripAdvisor (1533)$ | Italian, Pizza, Mediterranean, Neapolitan, Campania, Southern-Italian, InternationalPanagias Mirtidiotissas Kamari beach, Kamari 847 00 GreeceRead More »
- #1Santa Irini Bakery#1 of 62 Places to Eat in PerissaTripAdvisor (762)$ | GreekMain Road Perissa, Perissa 84703 GreeceRead More »
- #1Misteli Restaurant#1 of 38 Places to Eat in AkrotiriTripAdvisor (126)$ - $$ | Greek, Contemporary, HealthyAkrotiri 84700 GreeceRead More »
- #3Falafeland#3 of 177 Places to Eat in FiraTripAdvisor (1073)$ | Healthy, Street FoodDanezi, Fira 84700 GreeceRead More »
- #13Lombranos#13 of 738 Places to Eat in SantoriniTripAdvisor (212)$ - $$ | Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek, EuropeanOrmos Firon Kyklades, 84700 GreeceRead More »
- #1Aidani#1 of 3 Places to Eat in VourvoulosTripAdvisor (130)$ - $$ | Mediterranean, GreekVourvoulos Square, Vourvoulos 847 00 GreeceRead More »
- #2Juicy Burger#2 of 118 Places to Eat in KamariTripAdvisor (261)$ | American, Greek, Fast FoodShopping Center Atlantis, Kamari 84700 GreeceRead More »
- #1Terra Nera#1 of 4 Places to Eat in Agios GeorgiosTripAdvisor (1624)$ - $$ | Pizza, Mediterranean, European, GrillAgios Georgios, Perivolos 84703 GreeceRead More »
- #1Aroma Avlis Food & Wine#1 of 3 Places to Eat in Exo GoniaTripAdvisor (1004)$ - $$ | Mediterranean, European, GreekArtemis Karamolegos Winery, Exo Gonia, Fira 847 00 GreeceRead More »
- #1Meroula Restaurant#1 of 8 Places to Eat in VlychadaTripAdvisor (230)$ | Seafood, Mediterranean, GreekVlychada 84700 GreeceRead More »
- #3Gia Mas#3 of 118 Places to Eat in KamariTripAdvisor (275)$ - $$ | Seafood, Mediterranean, GreekKamari, Kamari 84700 GreeceRead More »
- #2Margarita#2 of 34 Places to Eat in PerivolosTripAdvisor (459)$ | Bar, Cafe, Mediterranean, GreekSantorini , Perivolos beach, Perivolos GreeceRead More »
Explore More of Santorini
If you make a purchase from our site, we may earn a commission. This does not affect the quality or independence of our editorial content.