Best Things To Do in Stowe, VT
Stowe is a year-round, outdoorsy destination. Hiking, mountain biking and rock climbing are the spring and summer's main activities. Must-visit trails include Stowe Recreation Path and those found at Moss Glen Falls. Autumn brings great leaf peeping opportunities along Smugglers' Notch State Park. Winter sports are big here, too, so if playing powder hound is your aim, head to a resort like Stowe Mountain to scratch your skiing itch. Or, learn more about the sport at the Vermont Ski and Snowboard Museum. Other popular pastimes include touring the Ben & Jerry's Waterbury Factory and snowshoeing at Trapp Family Lodge.
Updated February 22, 2017
- #1View all Photos#1 in Stowe, VTHiking, Historic Homes/Mansions, Recreation, Sightseeing, FreeTYPE2 hours to Half DayTIME TO SPENDHiking, Historic Homes/Mansions, Recreation, Sightseeing, FreeTYPE2 hours to Half DayTIME TO SPEND...Read More »
As avid fans of "The Sound of Music" already know, the real von Trapp family was a musical troupe that toured the world after their escape fromSalzburg, Austria, in 1938. As the family business became lucrative, the von Trapps purchased a small farmhouse in Stowe and settled down to live
- #2View all Photos#2 in Stowe, VTParks and Gardens, Recreation, FreeTYPE2 hours to Half DayTIME TO SPENDParks and Gardens, Recreation, FreeTYPE2 hours to Half DayTIME TO SPEND...Read More »
If you love exploring the great outdoors, then odds are you'll enjoy Stowe Recreation Path. This 5.5-mile-long greenway weaves its way between Stowe Village andTopnotch Resort. Motorized vehicles are not permitted here, so you can walk, run, bike, snowshoe, cross-country ski or rollerblade freely along the path.
- #3View all Photos#3 in Stowe, VTHiking, Recreation, Sports, FreeTYPEHalf Day to Full DayTIME TO SPENDHiking, Recreation, Sports, FreeTYPEHalf Day to Full DayTIME TO SPEND...Read More »
It might not be the biggest ski resort around, but Stowe Mountain Resort is still the place to go for skiers and snowboarders in northern Vermont. Why? The resort offers a wide variety of trails, from double-black diamonds on Mt. Mansfield's "Fourrunner Quad" to the beginner terrain at the base
- #4View all Photos#4 in Stowe, VTHiking, Natural Wonders, Parks and Gardens, Recreation, Swimming/PoolsTYPE2 hours to Half DayTIME TO SPENDHiking, Natural Wonders, Parks and Gardens, Recreation, Swimming/PoolsTYPE2 hours to Half DayTIME TO SPEND...Read More »
Smugglers' Notch State Park earned its unique name during the 19th and early 20th centuries when its towering cliffs aided illegal trade between the United States and Canada. Goods were transported through the park's narrow pass – now a toll road – which is lined with 1,000-foot cliffs.
- #5View all PhotosfreeMoss Glen Falls#5 in Stowe, VTHiking, Natural Wonders, Recreation, FreeTYPE1 to 2 hoursTIME TO SPENDHiking, Natural Wonders, Recreation, FreeTYPE1 to 2 hoursTIME TO SPEND...Read More »
Tucked within eastern Stowe next to CC Putnam State Forest, Moss Glen Falls features a series of cascading waterfalls. To access these falls, you'll need to hike along the Moss Glen Falls Trail, which spans nearly 3 miles. Follow the trail to the right and you'll reach the base of the
- #6View all Photos#6 in Stowe, VTMuseums, SportsTYPE1 to 2 hoursTIME TO SPENDMuseums, SportsTYPE1 to 2 hoursTIME TO SPEND...Read More »
When you need a break fromStowe Mountain Resort's slopes, take a peek in this quirky little museum. Nestled in downtown Stowe, the Vermont Ski and Snowboard Museum aims to "collect, preserve and celebrate Vermont's skiing and snowboarding history." Items found on display here include various skis, boots and chair lifts.
- #7View all Photos#7 in Stowe, VTToursTYPELess than 1 hourTIME TO SPENDToursTYPELess than 1 hourTIME TO SPEND...Read More »
Ben & Jerry's Waterbury Factory churns out delicious Chunky Monkey, Phish Food and other ice cream flavors in the nearby town of Waterbury, Vermont. Visitors are invited to watch the sweet treat being made on a factory tour, which includes a free sample.
Explore More of Stowe, VT
Kyle McCarthyApril 25, 2019
Zach WatsonApril 18, 2019
Holly JohnsonApril 11, 2019
Rachel CenterApril 10, 2019
Gwen PratesiApril 8, 2019
Lyn MettlerApril 3, 2019
Zach WatsonApril 2, 2019
Kyle McCarthyMarch 28, 2019
Christine SmithMarch 26, 2019