The Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan caters to flyers who frequent various destinations in Alaska, West Coast cities (like Seattle and Portland, Oregon) and major transportation hubs (like Atlanta and New York City), as well as destinations in Canada, Mexico and Costa Rica. By joining the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan, you can start earning miles on every Alaska Airlines flight you take and eligible flights on Alaska Airlines' 18 partner airlines, including American Airlines, Emirates and British Airways. You can also earn miles by making everyday purchases with the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature card or by staying with six participating hotel partners, including Best Western, InterContinental and Marriott. The miles you earn can be used toward free flights on Alaska Airlines and other participating carriers, partner hotel stays, magazine subscriptions or donations to charity.
Pros & Cons
Can earn and redeem miles with Alaska Airlines and 18 partner airlines
Can earn miles through numerous retail, rental car and hotel partnerships
Flexible redemption options for flights
Blackout dates apply on reward travel
Seating and availability on reward flights are limited
Accounts and miles can expire after two years of inactivity
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan is ranked as:
- 5.0Network Coverage »
- 4.5Ease of Earning Free Flight »
- 4.5Award Flight Availability »
- 5.0Additional Benefits »
- 4.4Airline Quality »
- 500 - 1,000No. of Daily Flights »
By joining the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan, you will earn frequent flyer miles based on the distance between the origin and destination cities on any Alaska Airlines or partner airline flight. You can use those miles toward free flights on Alaska Airlines and its partner airlines.
Points Can Expire
Can Earn Points On:
Can Use Points On:
The Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan consists of basic membership and the MVP Program. The MVP Program is divided into three classes: MVP, MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K. The program also includes Club 49, a special level for Alaska residents.
The Fine Print
- You can transfer up to 30,000 miles at a time (up to 100,000 miles per calendar year) to other Mileage Plan accounts for $10 per 1,000 miles (plus a $25 processing fee per transaction).
- On each flight, you will earn either the actual published mileage between the origin and the destination or 500 miles – whichever is greater.
- Award tickets are nonrefundable, but miles may be redeposited into your account for a service fee if you cancel a reservation. (The fee is waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K members.)
- Deleted miles can be reinstated for a fee up to a year after an inactive account is closed.