The Delta SkyMiles program is convenient for frequent flyers based in United States cities like Atlanta, Detroit, Los Angeles, Minneapolis and Seattle, and for passengers who often travel to and from New York City. Delta Air Lines operates more than 15,000 flights each day to 1,000-plus destinations across more than 50 countries. By becoming a SkyMiles member, you'll earn miles based on the amount you pay for your flight with Delta, Delta Connection or Delta Shuttle; you can also earn miles for flying with any of Delta's multiple partner airlines, including KLM, Air France and Virgin Atlantic, among others. Those miles can be redeemed for free air travel on any participating airline or cashed in for cabin upgrades, unique experiences (such as concert tickets) or items for sale at the SkyMiles Marketplace. When you fly with Delta, you will also earn Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs), Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) and Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs), which will help you gain access to a variety of perks through the Delta SkyMiles Medallion elite membership program. You can also earn miles on everyday purchases if you've signed up for a Delta SkyMiles credit card by American Express.
Pros & Cons
Miles can be earned and used with more than 20 participating airlines
Miles do not expire
Can earn miles on Lyft rides and hotel and Airbnb stays
Limited seating available for award travel
You must fly and spend a lot to reach elite status
Delta SkyMiles is ranked as:
- 5.0Network Coverage »
- 3.5Ease of Earning Free Flight »
- 3.5Award Flight Availability »
- 5.0Additional Benefits »
- 5.0Airline Quality »
- > 2,000No. of Daily Flights »
By becoming a SkyMiles member, you'll earn a base rate of 5 frequent flyer miles for every dollar you spend on a flight with Delta, Delta Connection or Delta Shuttle; you will also earn miles for travel on Delta's partner airlines, though the amount you'll earn varies by carrier. These miles can be used to cover the cost of future air travel on Delta or any affiliated carriers.
Points Do Not Expire
Can Earn Points On:
Can Use Points On:
The Delta SkyMiles program is divided into two categories: general SkyMiles membership and Medallion elite membership. The Medallion program is then split into four classes: Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond. The invite-only Delta 360 tier is also available for Delta's most loyal members.
The Fine Print
- Earning rates vary depending on which airline you fly. Delta SkyMiles partners do not necessarily offer the same number of miles as Delta.
- You must have a minimum balance of 5,000 miles to use miles to cover flight costs.
- You cannot use miles to cover any additional taxes or fees for award travel tickets.
- Members can transfer miles to another member's account in increments of 1,000 miles for 1 cent per mile, plus a transaction fee of $30. A maximum of 150,000 miles can be transferred out of a SkyMiles account in a calendar year; no more than 30,000 miles can be transferred per transaction.
You Might Also Like
If you make a purchase from our site, we may earn a commission. This does not affect the quality or independence of our editorial content.